Well Water?

805puffer

I live on well water and was wondering if anyone added well water to there tanks instead of ro water. iv always added ro water but i could do water changes a lot faster with well water. thanks

U

usirchchris

This would be the one time I would ever suggest RO water. Well there are two...if you have well water, or if your city sends out boil advisories once a month. JMHO

myerst22

I have well water and it is fantastic. Very hard and the PH is about 7.9. I do use a Dechlorinator. The fish look great. If you are doing a reef or keeping inverts I would lean towards a RODI. But if you are doing a FO, let it mix and aerate for 24 hours and add a product like Prime you should be good. Just do a test before you do so. T

unleashed

Originally Posted by 805puffer
http:///forum/post/3018749
I live on well water and was wondering if anyone added well water to there tanks instead of ro water. iv always added ro water but i could do water changes a lot faster with well water. thanks
i use well water for my tanks.. to much water waste and electricity on my pump to make ro water..
my fish do very well on it..i did for some time have a hair algae issue but it was do to other factors and was trying to get a good ample supply of growth in my tank(for my hebavores).as long as your water test safe for you it shouldnt be an issue for your fish.i used to use city water then went to ro water now at well water and to be honest my fish dont seam to care either way..

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by myerst22
http:///forum/post/3019479
I have well water and it is fantastic. Very hard and the PH is about 7.9. I do use a Dechlorinator. The fish look great. If you are doing a reef or keeping inverts I would lean towards a RODI. But if you are doing a FO, let it mix and aerate for 24 hours and add a product like Prime you should be good. Just do a test before you do so. T

Originally Posted by unleashed

http:///forum/post/3019546
i use well water for my tanks.. to much water waste and electricity on my pump to make ro water..
my fish do very well on it..i did for some time have a hair algae issue but it was do to other factors and was trying to get a good ample supply of growth in my tank(for my hebavores).as long as your water test safe for you it shouldnt be an issue for your fish.i used to use city water then went to ro water now at well water and to be honest my fish dont seam to care either way..
Interesting...I figured just about any well water would be full of all kind of funk....I have to get a well, so I can save on my water bill

I run my reef tank off of well water, but I also have a water softener, and I think that it helps alot. Everyting in my reef does great.

deejeff442

i have talked to a few people and they say well water is just fine for the tanks.
i have a well but i still r/o the water only because i have a great set up for it.i have a the sink pipes coming out of the wall that the builder never put the cabinit and sink there so i hooked up the r/o and put the waste to the drain.
but i still use the well to top off sometimes.
only problem is eventually you will get a white glaze on the glass from the minerals in it.
i also have a water system on it for the house .

95harley

I have well water with a water treatment system to harden my water as it comes out of the ground at below 6.0.
It may be overkill but I run it through an RO, not worth the risk IMO.

meowzer

have talked to a few people and they say well water is just fine for the tanks.
That's kind of a broad statement as all well water is not the same....I use to have a well and the water was disgusting...my sister in law lived 5 miles away, had a well, and had water that was cleaner than anything you could make....
So I would have to say....IF you have a well...with good water quality...it is okay to use it....if not...DON'T

A

arlene1995

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3020214
That's kind of a broad statement as all well water is not the same....I use to have a well and the water was disgusting...my sister in law lived 5 miles away, had a well, and had water that was cleaner than anything you could make....
So I would have to say....IF you have a well...with good water quality...it is okay to use it....if not...DON'T
+1
I currently have two wells and am going to be getting a third within the next couple of weeks. The current two are 30ft. apart and the water difference is amazing. The one is fine and the other well, each time it kicks on, it pukes up orange water for a second or two and the clears and it's the newer of the two!
Both wells seem to have a pH near 7 and both have phosphates that the softener can't seem to pull. Not to mention the water from both is VERY heavy with iron. I've used it on all my sw tanks and have had Hair Algae in those tanks. I converted my reef to RO a few months ago and there is only a small little patch remaining now... Just my two cents!

srfisher17

Originally Posted by PEZenfuego
http:///forum/post/3020269
+1, I don't think there would be any chlorine in well water

Meo is right, not all well water is equal. I can't even keep freshwater fish in my well water

I can't imagine how chlorine could be in well water; even if it did, chlorine is a gas and will be eliminated by the aeration you're doing.

unleashed

i think it also depends how far down the well is drilled, mine happens to be 80 ft underground... I use no water softener and have no rust in my water..i also live in the boonies or northern michigan and our soil is more sand than anything

A

arlene1995

Here's my well water fresh out of the hose!!! (No joke either... since both existing wells are messed up...)

meowzer

Barfaroo....I had water like that too...those filters you put on the well that were supposed to last 6 months lasted a week....
The best $3000 I ever spent was having town water put in.....:)

A

arlene1995

Yeah. Same here on the filters... except that that well clogs it in less than 3 days! UGH.
We just got our new well drilled yesterday and they should finish it tomorrow or the next day...

flower

Originally Posted by Arlene1995
http:///forum/post/3024491
Yeah. Same here on the filters... except that that well clogs it in less than 3 days! UGH.
We just got our new well drilled yesterday and they should finish it tomorrow or the next day...
The Culligan man is my hero, he could be what you need too. They will replace the filters as needed for around $40.00 a month to run an RO system. I couldn't afford the filters my well water would need to clean it up.
I was hauling 48g of water in jugs about three times a month from the local Wal-Mart...for cooking, drinking and top off for my tank.

scrombus2

Arlene- Do you really have pinfish in your tank? Just curious, 'cause of yer avatar.
As for well water, IMO, you never know for sure what's in it, as it changes over time. Groundwater flows, just like surface water. It's picking up whatever toxins , minerals, etc it comes across. There's been reports of raw gasoline and diesel coming out of people's faucets. I have a well- it's only for irrigation.I wouldn't use that nasty, sulfur and iron laden swill in my tanks.