Went for a ride

stumpdog

I woke up this morning and my female clown had gone for a ride in the overflow. How do you stop this from happening? Poor girl. Also the male is still just kind of laying at the bottom. If you get close he will move a little, could he still be in shock, it has been over 15hrs? I am starting to get worried.
Tanks-
Jeremy

stumpdog

The male is up and hanging out with the female now so he is off the sand bed, but they are hanging out by the overflow. I haven't started the overflow yet, women never learn and men just follow. ;)
Tanks-
Jeremy

stumpdog

Anybody? I haven't restarted the overflow yet for fear of this happening again, but I need to get going to class soon.
Tanks-
Jeremy

jrittz

Do you have any type of plastic mesh you can place over the overflow to prevent the fish from falling into it? That's the best way to prevent anything fish, snail, shrimp, etc from falling into an overflow or getting sucked up into any sort of intake. Cover it up enough where the fish/inverts cant get sucked in or fall in but open enough to allow the free flow of the overflow/intake.
Again im no expert but this is what seems logical to me and is what I would do. Anybody please feel free to say otherwise. I'm basing this response on the tanks i've seen and the tank I currently have, whether it's built into the tank or it's a hang on the back with an intake or all of the above.
Jrittz

quillfighter

I think one thing to consider is the swimming power of the fish make sure the fish wont become stuck to the cover as well.... I lost a fish due to this :(