West Maui

moray345

Hey,
Im going to w. maui for summer vacation and was just wondering if anyone had been and knew of some cool things to do. We are staying on Kaanapali (spl.)
Thanks,
CB

dennycrane

I was there about 10 years ago for a wedding. We stayed at the Westin. If there is one thing I recommend you do while in Maui, it is the Blue Hawaii Helicopter tour. It is UNbelievable. It made the entire trip. Other than that...play golf, surf, scuba...whatever you like. Lahaina (sp) is a cool town.

anthony17

thats awesome your going to maui, i just got back from w.maui 2 weeks ago and we stayed at kaanapali. the hotels right on the beach and is awesome.... go snorkeling at black rock... its right on kaanapali beach. it has really good snorkeling ... i saw puffers that were over a foot long lots of trigger fish.. and really awesome fish and your real close to front street which has alot of shops. AND YOU MUST GO SNORKELING AT MOLIKINI CRATER its worth how ever much you pay for the boat ride over!!!! go snuba or scuba or just snorkeling at molikini crater and trust me you'll never forget it.

cowfishrule

i did maui 5 years ago
definatly do molokini
go on the maui power cat- it was a really great crew, and a nice boat.
you'll swim with hundreds of triggers.
you'll also go to turtle town, and swim with sea turtles.
if you get a chance, check out laheina (sp). cute little town, lots of shops, some good eats over there as well.

poniegirl

Lived in Kihei, mind you years ago.
South Maui has some great beaches. Sugar Beach is small, has a few shops. Was a great Mexican food place called Linda's. Down toward Wailea, good beaches, also. Ask about "Big Beach". It may have been developed over.
If you bar-b-que, grab some marinated meat from Azeka's Market in Kihei.
Do go to Kimo's for dinner in Lahaina.
Try some inland stuff, if there is time. The Iao Needle. From the airport in Kahului, look right and you should be able to see the Iao Valley about 20 minutes into the drive across the island (that's about half way)
The road to Hana is a must if you have an entire day to spare. That road used to go all the way along the south coast, but was not paved the whole way.
Haleakala is a sight, but again, time consuming.
You can head up to Makawao and at some points you will see both east and west coast from the same view. A little perspective.
Definitely the Molokini dive/snorkel.
There is surfing on the northeast shore, but I can't recall the name of the beach.
Enjoy!

poniegirl

Whalers Village in Ka'anapali has access to Ka'anapali Beach (I worked at the Fox Photo lab in Whaler's Village). There used to be a picture in the photo shop that showed Ka'anapali Beach before the storm that took half the beach away. Interesting to see.
Whalers Village is by the Westin.