wet/dry cleaning question

briterco

I have a wet/dry filter with bioballs. I've read recommendations that the balls may need to be periodically cleaned but only in small portions (25%). My question is regarding the sponge in my filter that separates the bottom "drip" section under the balls from the sump area. Does that sponge ever require cleaning?
I'm struggling with a bit of a nitrate problem (20-40 range). I clean the filter pad over the balls on a weekly basis, do a 10-15% water change on a weekly basis, have rinsed about 1/3 of the balls one time, 100lb LR, very meticulous in feeding. I've recently hooked in a 10g refugium. Am just curious if the sponge needs attention.
thanks!

D

daniel411

I'd rinse it off with saltwater from your water changes. Whats happening is small bits of deitrous are making it to the bio-balls and the sponge, than rotting away.

rbmount

Not to hijack this thread, but I replaced my filter pad today and it was full of pods. Is there any way to save them? They were all in the media. I put it in some sw and shook it but got only a few. I hated throwing them out.