wet/dry filter questions

badfet

My tank is close to finishing cycling, 55 gal , wet/dry w/ bio balls, 2 402 power heads, 55 lbs LR, 60 lbs LS, 300 watt heater, berlin skimmer. everything is a normal limits except ammonia is at .25, tank has been cycling now for 4 weeks. should I change white fabric mesh in my trickle down. Im also seeing a bloom in alge brown and green, can I begin to put in a cleaner crew? or should I do a water change? my last question is on quarantine tanks, how good are they? and do the cleaner crew have to go into the quarantine tank b4 going in the display tank?

carrie1429

If your ammonia is still at .25 then your cycle still isn't finished yet but very close to being finished because of the algae bloom, also known as diatoms. I would do a small water change soon then when all the levels are fine, ammonia lower, then you could add inverts but they are very sensitive to water levels.
Quarantine tanks are very good. It really helps keep the fish in your main tank staying healthy because if you buy a fish that has ich but you don't know it then all your fish can get it, while if you have a QT then just that fish has the parasite. And no you don't have to QT the inverts they dont carry ich like the fish do.

slick

You could replace your filter pad in your wet dry. And I would turn on your skimmer if it's not already on.

carrie1429

You don't need to quarantine any inverts because they can't carry diseases like fish can, good thing too, try to imagine cathing all the shrimp, crabs, ect. :rolleyes: :D