Wet/Dry filters a thing of the past??Anybody heard of this?

drogrant

Hi Guys,
So I came across this video on youtube and wanted to know what you all think This guy is responding to another guy about wet/dry filters and how they probably aren't the best form of filtration. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=NFPihVj0cCg
I also found another type of filtration called Hel-x moving bed filter...anyone know much about this? The link is below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50t8pYDO4UQ&NR=1&feature=fvwp

flower

I haven't heard of it before either. As long as you keep a filter the right size for your tank and bioload, any filter is good enough. Some better than others, but always a personal choice. If you like total silence, go for a canister. Sumps, with a refugium is what I consider the best type, but that doesn't mean a Whisper HOB wouldn't do. A sump makes a noise, some gurggle like a creek or brook of running water...I like that sound. but others may not. I ran a 90g reef for over 10 years on two canisters as my filtration and a HOB skimmer.
A wet/dry has bio-balls, and it requires a cleaning once in a while, not a good filter for those who don't want to take the messy job under their belt. I run a sump with a refugium and lots of macroalgae...I seldom change my water because of my health, but my parameters read 0 on nitrates and phosphates, which is what my seahorses need. I have found that a mini canister can be used like a vacuum cleaner for the bottom of the sump, which is what I use for that once in a blue moon.

beaslbob

Wet/Dry are considered old school like under gravel filters(UGFs).
Things in the hobby come and go.
for instance back in 2003 or so deep sea beds (DSBs) were the in thing.
Now refugiums full of macro algae or algae turf scrubbers are more in favor.
But like DSBs some still use wet/dry and (UGFs) with great results. For instance, one tank with a UGF has ran for over 40 years.
FWIW I would think the Wet/Dry with all the nitrates being generated would be a non issue as long as an algae refugium kept that all in check.
But that's just my .02

mr. limpid

Also my .02, now you have .04 cents.
I use a wet/dry on my 135 FOWLR and I use HOB on my 20 Reef. My nitrates are at 20-40 on the FO, 3 months ago I added macro in a chamber of the wet/dry. Haven't rechecked nitrate yet. As for the Reef tank it has always had 0 nitrates, I have 1 damsel in tank and a lot of macro.
My concussion, Wet/Dry do a good job with ammonia but not nitrates, should be used with FO tanks or add a refug. filled with macro. Sumps/Refug, depending on there size and the amount of filter material (Live Rock / Macro's) will handle less bio load per volume.

snakeblitz33

Yeah, wet dry is mainly for tanks that have high levels of ammonia - such as temporary holding tanks for wholesalers and some retailers that have a lot of fish in them.
There are many, many, many tanks out there that still have wet/dry systems but they eventually run into problems because of a lazy reefer. I suggest a good protein skimmer, water changes, and some form of macroalgae.

drogrant

Snake,
you mention in another post to not use bioballs..why not? What should I use instead? And how can I find macroalgae??

drogrant

Mr. Limpid,
Can you explain what you mean by adding macro in a chamber of the wet/dry??How did you do this?

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogrant http:///t/394206/wet-dry-filters-a-thing-of-the-past-anybody-heard-of-this#post_3508627
Snake,
you mention in another post to not use bioballs..why not? What should I use instead? And how can I find macroalgae??
Bioballs accumulates waste with lazy reefers. What I mean is, they are a great tool to have, but without regular cleanings they can build up a significant amount of waste which can contribute to high nutrient levels which cause algae.
Use filtration methods that not only process ammonia (like bioballs) but also remove excessive nutrients from the system... such as protein skimming, growing macroalgae such as caulerpa or chaetomorpha or using a well maintained algae scrubber to remove nutrients.
Think of it like this:
Bioballs process ammonia and build up/trap
nitrates and phosphates
Protein skimmers remove dissolved organics which cause nitrates, and phosphates.
Macroalgaes remove ammonia, nitrates and phosphates by incorporating them into their tissues.
Chemical filtration can remove ammonia, nitrate and phosphate by chemically binding it to itself, but they exhaust quickly.
Therefore, it's better to use other filtration methods which remove nutrients rather than building it up. However, corals do need some foods - and that is why we feed our tanks with DIY foods, oyster juice, proteins, amino acids, and phytoplankton... then there has to be some way to remove everything that isn't eaten - such as protein skimmers, macroalgaes and chemical filtration.
You have to figure out your tanks personality and get to know what your corals need, through good husbandry, maintenance and ultimately experience.

flower

There are other macroalgae that looks really pretty, yet all I ever see anyone speak about are Caulerpa or Chaeto....Golf Coast ecosystems, take a look. Red, golden/brown and green are the color groups...wide leaves to cool branches, and they all do the same awesome job. ...I was introduced to the uses of macroalgae by Beaslbob....they don't just have to go into a refugium, they are very decorative.

acrylic51

Flower to a degree I see or have reservations about adding macros to a DT.....1 being they could easily take over if left unchecked and the other if your fish start to eat nibble, then you are doing nothing but releasing the crap back into the water system which the macros had originally removed.....

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/394206/wet-dry-filters-a-thing-of-the-past-anybody-heard-of-this#post_3508806
Flower to a degree I see or have reservations about adding macros to a DT.....1 being they could easily take over if left unchecked and the other if your fish start to eat nibble, then you are doing nothing but releasing the crap back into the water system which the macros had originally removed.....
It all depends on the macro, some grow fast and would take over, but some are very slow growers and not what fish like to eat. You have to picky. Some go sexual such as the grape caulerpa. Some macros are not suited for warm tanks and some not suited for cold ones. Just like our corals, you have to do a little checking to make sure of the light needs, the water temps and the growth factor...it just sounds like a lot but it really isn't. The site I mentioned has an on-line book, free for the reading on all the macros they carry.
As always it's a personal choice of how you want your tank to look. I just think the option should be mentioned so folks folks who are new to the hobby can check it out. That's also why I'm always showing
the pocket guide book I do, it shows so much more fish choices then what folks may know is available, along with their basic needs. As with everything we add to our tanks, it should be an educated decision.

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogrant http:///t/394206/wet-dry-filters-a-thing-of-the-past-anybody-heard-of-this#post_3508629
Mr. Limpid,
Can you explain what you mean by adding macro in a chamber of the wet/dry??How did you do this?
On my wet dry I have chamber that was used for a built in protein skimmer. I no longer use this skimmer so I filled it w/ LR and added macro with a light. The chamber is only 12x7x10, in 3 months the macro has fill it will prob. take readings this weekend to see if it makes a difference.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/394206/wet-dry-filters-a-thing-of-the-past-anybody-heard-of-this#post_3509155
On my wet dry I have chamber that was used for a built in protein skimmer. I no longer use this skimmer so I filled it w/ LR and added macro with a light. The chamber is only 12x7x10, in 3 months the macro has fill it will prob. take readings this weekend to see if it makes a difference.
You won't see a differnce right away, it will take a few harvestings first. As you remove the overgrowth, the new growth will feed on the NO3 and PO4, removing it from the water...great idea about the skimmer chamber!