wet/dry filters

coolperson

are wet dry filters the best way to go for filters? or what is..im looking at a aquaclear aquatics pro 150 wet/dry filter fort my 80 gallon should i get it or is there a beter one?
also how much pounds of live sand do i need for a 80 gallon tank

wamp

Wet/Dry filters are very good filters. They are one of the most efficent filters out there own the market. Require very little maintance and the cost is a great plus. I recomend them to all who don't have a sufficent amount of Live rock in their tank, or who have none at all.
How much live sand? Well, I tell people all the time to get dry substrate and mix with about 20-40lbs of live sand. The other will become live quickly and save you money at the same time.

ed r

Will the tank be fish only or a reef? Have you considered a DSB? Few people use wet/dry filters with reef tanks. I believe the number used on fish only tanks is also dwindling. Many people who have wet/drys have removed the bio ball stuff and use them as expensive sumps. They do make good sumps. If you are asking how much sand will be needed for a DSB, you want a 4-6" deep layer of very fine particles. This will probably take about 220 to 240 lbs for an 80g. In a reef tank with a conservative bioload, the DSB and live rock provide all the biological filtration that is needed and also tend to keep the nitrate level at zero. A well populated fish only tank with a wet-dry filter will probably have zero ammonia and nitrite, but will most often have a substantial nitrate level.

salty james

I am tossing around the same thing.
I have been using EMP 400s on my tanks, and not had any problems. Other peeps say that the wet dry is the only way to go. I love the EMP400 filter easy to maintain high circulation.
Anyone have opinions what are best ?
SJ

wamp

I disagree on the dwindling users of wet/dry. In fact, I would say they are on the rise. LFS that I frequent have been selling them like hot-cakes lately. They are a very good means of filtration. A reef tank with a large amount of Rock and sand does not need one. But a FO without all the rock and sand needs some other form of filtration. Not to mention, It never hurts to overkill yor filtration system on your tank, but it Kills to under filtrate your tank.
Live rock and sand are still IMO the best way to filter your tank. But the cost of rock vs. the cost of a wet/dry is a plus to the wet/dry. I still recomend the use of a DSB to help with the nitrate removal in your tank. Wet/Drys were not designed for that. If you can afford all the rock you need , that would be better but at least you have options.

K

keiko

wamp,
I'm thinking of switching the c/c in my 25g to a dsb. How many lbs dry-substrate-to-live-sand would I need?
And on the subject of emp400's, is that too much for a 25g? Everyone's got 'em on bigger tanks :eek:

jim27

I highly recommend wet/dry's if your tank isn't going to have a lot of rock. I use one on my shark tank, which CANT have enough rock to provide biological filtration so a wet/dry is the only option.
I agree with wamp about wet/dry's on the rise. They sell very quickly over here too.

sgt__york

Not to turn this into a wet/dry vs LR & LS debate again - but I love the comment made by Wamp - "It never hurts to overkill yor filtration system on your tank, but it Kills to under filtrate your tank." Maybe that's why i have enuf bio balls for a 180gal on my 75 gal tank - AND just over 1lb per gal of LR. :) lol
It 'seems to me' tho... the bacteria grown to consume ammonia and nitrites grow best in a wet/dry than live rock for the simple reason there is 3x the ppm of oxygen in a wet/dry than live rock. Thus to handle an equal bioload - it will take much more surface area of LR and LS to house this bacteria than it will in a wet/dry system. Albeit it a mute point if this vast surface area available is unused.
The primary reason that ppl say wet/dry 'creates' nitrates (which is a major mistatement) is because you have so much filtration that it is said people then "OVERSTOCK" their tank. It is the increased bio load that "creates" the nitrate levels.
GRANTED a DSB will at least help lower the nitrate levels - where nothing in a wet/dry system will.
WHICH LEADS to the introduction of an algae refugium - a great nitrate removal filtration method. This can be done with either a wet/dry OR a DSB. A wet/dry has no nitrate removing ability, thus is a perfect (and most efficient) marrige. HOWEVER, if it does the job of the DSB so well - what is the true NEED for a DSB if you have an Algae-Refugium?
Seems to me - it gets back to 1) personal choice of apperance of your substrate; 2) deciding what architecture of filtration hardware you want to setup (all in 1 tank or multiple specialty tanks); and 3) Do you want to create an algae-refugium or not? Seems the answer to these 3 questions helps steer you to the required setup.
A wet/dry (with an algae refugium) requires more tanks to specialize their function - where a LR & LS method can do it's function in ONE tank. This seems (to me) to be the key difference in deciding what direction you wanna go.
One thing i've learned in this hobby, this is no "BEST" or "RIGHT" way. Good and BAD results can be obtained in any method you use - depending on your maintenance habits; what you put in your tank (types of fish and/or corals); what water source and lighting you use; etc... We ALL do things right AND wrong for our parameters - sometimes whether we KNOW it or not.
I have a friend that has a 180gal tank - has had it for almost 2 yrs now - primarily a Fish Only tank. He bought it established. He LOVES the tank (observer) but to this day STILL doesn't know the difference between Live Rock and a Coral. He doesn't know the process of a cycle. Knowing what i do, which is highly limited, i could point to things he's doing wrong -- using tap water; lighting that is now 2yrs old (never been replaced); no additives whatsoever; infrequent water changes (5-10gal per 2 wks); he has no cleanup crew whatsoever; He doesn't test for ph or anything; etc..
HOWEVER, who am i to say he's a failure because he's not done things right!!?? FACT IS, his tank looks great! lol His fish are doing great. And he loves admiring his tank and the life inside of it. I can't completely explain it - but 2yrs of success speakes for itself.
Now, I don't recommend moving ahead in an expensive hobby blind - but my point - don't focus on the "best", "fastest", "most efficient", "newest", etc way or product. Fact is, the hobby is one huge experiment as we attempt to bring underwater nature into our homes. Learn, enjoy, and do what is best for you - economically, intelligently, what works with the system you have. Learn from others mistakes so that you can succeed. And HAVE FUN - in failures and success.
Best of luck to you, bud.
PS: Wet drys are BETTER than DSB's. My Wet Dry can kick your dads butt any day - it'll kick sand in your face. Wet Dry's RULE!!! DSB's drooool.
Sorry, got carried away.. LOL