Wet/Dry power outage?

brucewrs

Just curious how long will the bacteria on the Bio balls live under water if the power goes out and my sump fills up with water?Thanks

xdave

If you scoop the water out of there and exchange it with tank water it will stay alive. It doesnt work as well as when it's running obviously, but a little. You can feed it as well.

cgrant

i have read that as long as the power outage is not a major one, and that as long as the bioballs/media/etc dont dry out you should be ok, but a major outage would cause some problems!!!
I think only thing to do if you dont have a generator is put the bioballs in water and hope for the bestif outage was for days, etc?

brucewrs

I have a generator but during a storm if the power goes out I was wondering how long can the bacteria on the bio balls be submerged for.Someone told me that they would drown if submerged under water.

cgrant

dont submerge the bioballs, just let them float around in the water.
If you have a generator already best thing to do is get a ups to carry the load until you get the generator going.
Honestly if you have a generator i dont think you have that much to worry about, just put a good ups on it, generator will take over from then on.

brucewrs

Originally Posted by CGRANT
dont submerge the bioballs, just let them float around in the water.
If you have a generator already best thing to do is get a ups to carry the load until you get the generator going.
Honestly if you have a generator i dont think you have that much to worry about, just put a good ups on it, generator will take over from then on.

My sump fills up 3/4's when the power goes out.Most of the balls would be under water.What is a ups?I just got back into this hobby.Alot of things have changed in 10 years.LOL

bojik

UPS = a computer backup battery. Like whats used for servers and such. Staples or many other computer electronic stroes will have them. And if that fails. You could try putting a battery air pump under the balls to airate them a bit. At least till you get the generator fired up.