wetdry into a sump

bakes2

I have an Amiracle wetdry that came with the tank I bought. I wanted to change it into a sump/fuge. I was wondering if it could be done and what I need. Dimensions 24X12X14

peckhead

whjen i bought my 90g i was given that same exact thing. i wanted to make it into a fuge but the baffles are set up wierd and its would be really hard to do it i think. i remember trying but its just so much easier to get a tank and put in some baffles. on this sump the baffles are really high, and the last baffle before the return pump is open on the bottom and you wouldnt be able to put sand.

kevin34

Well a wet/dry pretty much is a sump already. If it is the kind that has a bioball chamber you could remove the bioballs and replace them with LR rubble and some cheato to make a mini fuge. Then get a small light to shine on it about 12 hours a day. I heard that you can even light it from the side to keep evaporation down.

peckhead

well...the thing about this wet dry is, the lr and chaeto wouldnt be submerged. and if it is submerged, then i wish you luck in a power outage because your going to have a overflow to deal with

bakes2

I saw what you were saying about the baffels. The one is high and I just dont see how it would work w/o the possibility of flooding. Peckhead what did you ever do with your Amiracle. I really dont want to run a wet/dry.

flcandy

This is a good ? I have just purchased a wet/dry filter or sump from the classies on here and just wanted to know what would go into making this a true sump. Here are the specs:
1. Overflow Bubble Chamber
Air is expelled to enhance quiet operation & enclosed
chamber reduces salt spray & maintenance
2.Filter Media Tray
Tray is removable & adapts to most media
3. Biological Media Chamber
Bio balls held above water line by molded media grate
to enhance biological filtration
4. Main Sump Reservoir
Large size allows user to add protein skimmers,
calcium reactors or fluidized chambers
5. Pump Chamber
Designed to accommodate most submersible pumps
6. Sump Cover
Dimension: 20" x 10" x 17-1/4"
Aquarium up to 55 Gal.
I plan on putting the 'skimmer' in the sump (Seaclone 100)
Thanks for any help.
edit due to my inability to spell

scsinet

Given the dimensions, you'd be better off just buying a 10 gallon tank for 10 bucks and turning that into a sump. It's less capacity (10 gallons versus 17), but you'll have more usable space without all those baffles and junk in there.

kevin34

Originally Posted by FlCandy
This is a good ? I have just purchased a wet/dry filter or sump from the classies on here and just wanted to know what would go into making this a true sump. Here are the specs:
1. Overflow Bubble Chamber
Air is expelled to enhance quiet operation & enclosed
chamber reduces salt spray & maintenance
2.Filter Media Tray
Tray is removable & adapts to most media
3. Biological Media Chamber
Bio balls held above water line by molded media grate
to enhance biological filtration
4. Main Sump Reservoir
Large size allows user to add protein skimmers,
calcium reactors or fluidized chambers
5. Pump Chamber
Designed to accommodate most submersible pumps
6. Sump Cover
Dimension: 20" x 10" x 17-1/4"
Aquarium up to 55 Gal.
I plan on putting the 'skimmer' in the sump (Seaclone 100)
Thanks for any help.
edit due to my inability to spell
That is the same style I have (I got the model 4). What I was planning to do was put my skimmer and heaters in there but take the bioballs out of that chamber they are in and turn it into a mini fuge.

flcandy

By putting LR in there correct? Thats all I would need to do to change that? LMAO I know I have some work ahead of me but just wanted to pick the more experienced peoples' brains first!

peckhead

Originally Posted by Bakes2
I saw what you were saying about the baffels. The one is high and I just dont see how it would work w/o the possibility of flooding. Peckhead what did you ever do with your Amiracle. I really dont want to run a wet/dry.

threw it out.
made a fuge out of a 30g :)

bambam_250r

When you all make a sump or a fuge out of a tank, do you just cut plastic out for the baffles and use aquarium silicone(the clear stuff) to glue them in?

kevin34

Originally Posted by FlCandy
By putting LR in there correct? Thats all I would need to do to change that? LMAO I know I have some work ahead of me but just wanted to pick the more experienced peoples' brains first!
Well along with the LR you can add cheato and all that stuff. You will also need a light. A small flourescent light from Home Depot should work fine. Also you can shine the light in the fuge from the side instead of from the top to cut down on evaporation.