WHat about this stand design? need help

dcathey

I am preparing the switch to a 125 (72x18x22)(LxWxH). My current 80 gal is leaking so I am in a pinch. I am looking of constructing stand out of 2x4 and then making a shell out of 1/2" plywood and 3/4" 1x4s. I also dont want much in terms of boards in the way in the front. Will this plan need any type of vertical supports in the middle for this size tank? Will it need them if I upgrade the horizontal pieces to 2x6s? I want to have a removable 1 x4 in the center for sump access and not have to worry about temporary supports.

S

suv

IMO Iwould find away to put the center supports in and work around them, thats a lot of weight siting on an aufull long spred to not be suported in the middle. But other than that the design looks good.

chris17

I am currently building a stand for a 125g, my build thread is on this first page. I used 2x6s around the top and also for the "legs". All the weight runs straight down the legs straight to the floor, I am going to put a 2x6 in the center of the front. The only reason I am puting it in is to have something to attach the doors too. No weight is put on the middle of the stand, only the ends. JMO I have had many tanks, up to 55g sitting on a stand and I could slide paper under the center of the tank.
This is my first tank over 55g, but I don't see it being any different.

S

suv

It just would make me nervous, you know, thats a lot of time, money and effort to not be extra sure.

grue

I made a stand very close to the one your making. Only differance I see is. 2 top red board (I doubled mine up) 2 top Yellow boards (I doubled mine up) 1 top Blue board (I put 2 evenly spaced) The top piece of plywood I used 1". Currently shelling mine out in red oak. just finished making the doors will post in next 3 weeks My 2 Cents
Grue

dcathey

I went ahead and put a 2x6 on the center and then I did 2 evenly spaced in the back. I am currently done with the framing and tommorrow night I am going to wrap with nicer wood...clean up my old doors.....install some cool trim around the tank and install some magnetic clips for the end pieces so that I can remove them for skimmer cleaning. Anybody seen any coolpics of nice trim work on stands and hoods? I am looking for ideas rather than just doing the basic base and crown.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by chris17
http:///forum/post/2749617
I am currently building a stand for a 125g, my build thread is on this first page. I used 2x6s around the top and also for the "legs". All the weight runs straight down the legs straight to the floor, I am going to put a 2x6 in the center of the front. The only reason I am puting it in is to have something to attach the doors too. No weight is put on the middle of the stand, only the ends. JMO I have had many tanks, up to 55g sitting on a stand and I could slide paper under the center of the tank.
This is my first tank over 55g, but I don't see it being any different.

Should be just fine.....If you go to -- in the DIY section there is a thread with a info on what you can do as far a lumber and spans you can do. The thread was done by an engineer as well.

R

rkhlk

not sure if this will help you or not but i'm a welder so it was a little easier for me than most people. i built a stand for my 55 gal out of steel. I used 2"x2"x1/4" thick angle for the legs and 2" channel for a rectangle base and the same for a rectangle top that the tanks sits on. I drilled holes every six inches in the angle and channel and screwed wood to the outside and then sanded and stained. it turned out very nice and sturdy. it might be worth it to look into a local shop that could do the steel work for you. you could probably get away with no center brace or one that could be unbolted pretty easily. I'm have no idea what the cost would be but IMO i don't think your looking at more than $75 in steel and wouldn't ever have any doubts about its strength.