What About This?

salty_0ne

WHY CANT I TAKE REGULAR 4 FOOT DUAL BULB FLOURESENT LIGHT SET-UP LIKE YOU WOULD FIND IN A SHOP OR GARAGE, PUT A REFLECTOR ON IT, THEN ADD SOME BALLAST AND HAVE A HALIDE BULB SET-UP?

acrylic51

HUH???!!!??? Flourescent and MH are to different types of lighting. Are you trying to say make the shop light VHO instead of NO?

steveoutla

If you try to use a normal flourescent hood and put halide sockets and reflectors in it the plastic will melt. Halides also need to be at least 8" off the water.

salty_0ne

I mean light the dual fluresent lights that you find in a shop or garage. They are usually white and are made of metal. I mean take the ballast out put in MH ballast and bulbs and hang them above the tank. O yea and add reflectors behind the bulbs! Wpuld that work?

salty_0ne

Exactly..........those light fixtures have trouble every so often and usually you just change the ballast and its fixed. So I figured why not just put the MH ballast on them put the MH bulbs in add a few reflectores and tada!RIGHT?

prohopper

well i think i understand you but what you are saying is just use the metal housing for the regular shop lights. There are 2 things wrong with what you are saying. First is you said you want to buy a reflector to put inside the housing and second is that metal halides have a completely different socket than flourecent lights do. So basically yes you could use that housing for a metal halide or two but why would you when you need to get new sockets and a reflector? Just buy a reflector and mount a metal halide socket to it then do your wiring.

salty_0ne

I also dont understand why you cant get a few of the say..250 watt flood lights, mount them to the wall 7 or 8 inches abouve the tank, and put the directly down in to the water. I dont see how any other lighting system woud throw more light that that out. They are moisture and water proof. I just dont see how that wouldnt work!

prohopper

flood lights would work to light up the tank. But you are not getting the right wavelengths that you need. Squidd will tell ya more if he reads this. I just suck at explaining things.

stunna1212

i see above that someone said a halide should be 8" above the water. is this true even if its only a 175w bulb that is also fan cooled?

prohopper

the main reason for keeping a halide so far above the water leve is because of the heat that they give off and also you dont want any water to splash on them. I guess if you had some serious fans in there they could be closer but you should keep an eye on your water temp.

squidd

Thats mostly to keep it from getting "splashed" and cracking/shattering...
And also to get the "spread" wide enough across the tank...
How close is yours...?

stunna1212

i dont have it installed yet, i am just starting to get ready to swith to MH for a reef tank. the tank is a 35 gal hex and the width of the tank is 23 in. i just want to make sure that i will be good to go. what do you guys think the minimum height i will need?

salty_0ne

So squidd can you explain to me why you cant use something like a flood light? Whats the difference in spectrum? How is that measured and so on?

squidd

The "flood lights" your looking at are "probably" Halogen...
And while they do put out a good bit of light...it's not in a "usable" spectrum...
Spectrum is a measurement of "light waves" generally expressed in Kelvin or "K" value...
You've heard of "infra-red" and "ultra-Violet"...?
Those are on the opposit ends of the spectrum "scale"...with orange, yellow and blue in between...
Corals do best in the "high yellow" to blue range...algae grows best in the orange/yellow range...
Halogens are in the yellow range...
And they put out a huge amount of heat for the ammount of light produced...

salty_0ne

How do I tell which bulbs are the right ones?
Also, could I build a 9 inch tall wood canopy, use some kind of heat proof insulation, add a few fans, add a few relectors, a few sockets, the ballast, a few 250 wat MH bulbs and be done with it?
What kind of insulation?
How many watts will do great for a 55 gallon tank. If I want to most corals and most anemones?
Can you use the slyvania 175 watt ballast and put 1 5inch 175 watt bulb on each side? Would that be good?

squidd

Originally posted by Salty_0ne
How do I tell which bulbs are the right ones?
>>>Look for the "K" rating on the bulb...<<<
Also, could I build a 9 inch tall wood canopy, use some kind of heat proof insulation, add a few fans, add a few relectors, a few sockets,... the ballast, a few 250 wat MH bulbs and be done with it?
>>> Getting the right kind (MH) "ballast" is important...and "matching" MH bulbs...<<
What kind of insulation?
>>>Won't need insulation if you have proper spacing and air flow<<<
How many watts will do great for a 55 gallon tank. If I want to most corals and most anemones?
>>>250 is a safe number<<<
Can you use the slyvania 175 watt ballast and put 1 5inch 175 watt bulb on each side? Would that be good?
>>>Slyvania is a "name brand" ...what "type" of ballast and bulb are you asking about...?<<<

salty_0ne

What about a canopy with two of these mounted inside? Or do you think i only need one of these?
Completely assembled (no wiring required) horizontal reflector made from 95% reflective aluminum. Comes complete with 5kv mogul socket and 15 foot lamp cord with Sunlight Supply male plug. Easily installs into any canopy with 4 small screws.
Mabe one of these mounted in the middle of the canopy?
Description: Completely assembled (no wiring required) horizontal pendant reflector with 95% reflective, parabolic-shaped aluminum ********, black powder coated corrosion resistant exterior with good ventilation, double-ended porcelain socket, 15 foot lamp cord with Sunlight Supply male plug, UV filtering tempered glass and eye bolts for hanging. Can also be installed inside a canopy with simple L-bracket.