What all can live on/in LR ??? >>

focal

I was just wondering how many different things there are. Not what you could put on the LR, just if you bought some LR and put it in your already cycled tank with plenty of light what all would grow. Thanks.

flydan

Hey!
You can find almost anything living on LR depending how long it's been out of the water. A lot of places ship LR packed in wet newspaper. Needless to say, if it's been that way for a while you wont find a lot on your LR besides some real hardy algae. If it's harvested and packed wet, you will find everything from corals to sponges ect. I've even heard stories of people putting LR in their tank and a day later there is a new fish in their tank! Anyway,to answer your question, you could find tubeworms, mushrooms, hard/soft corals, or just about anything on "good" LR.
Hope that helps,]
flydan :D

broomer5

Agree with flydan,
Can go either way depending on the quality and handling of the live rock.
Good things I've seen grow out on the rock I purchased have been some cool featherdusters, various types of macroalgae, spaghetti tubeworms, red, purple and green coralline algae, bivalve mollusks, and a funky sponge that I removed.
That was the good rock.
I bought some rock that looked pretty good at first, but nothing ever really "grew" out of it. I moved it down lower in the tank and stacked the good stuff on top.
Also bubble algae can grow out and spread pretty fast. Some folks don't care for it - some do.
Brian

b_ball12_99

I agree you can get just about anything. Eggs, inverts, coals, ect. There are a few bad things like mantis shrimp though. Always a surprise to see what you will get.

nm reef

I've found numerous feather dusters......brown polyps(that is now a good size colony)..a sea squirt......brisstle worms...peanut worm..and just recently a cool lil star fish(i think its a chocolate chip..but ain't sure yet.....) all of this from lr added 5-6 months ago

I've had my live rock for about a little over a month....new stuff anyway and just last night I noticed a tiney little snail crawling on the back of my glass. Not even a 1/8 of in inch large.
peace
doug