what anemone is this

socalracer

just seen one at a lfs white with purple tips and a red foot is this a condi? on another site it says clowns will often not host. does this sound right?

spanko

Yup Condy also called a Hatian anemone. Yest they will sting coral if placed too close or if it decieds to take a walk around the tank.

socalracer

so the overall feeling of this anemone is it is bad and i should stay away or do many people own them.....also i would not have a full blown reef tank were you cant see any rock b/c there is so much coral......lastly i read they prefer to be placed in the sand ?

bn91280

I just bought an "already set-up" tank about a month ago, and that is what I had was a condy, it was very easy to take care of. The only problem I had was that it's foot kept twisting up, which from asking quite a few people seems to be a freak occurance. Some had heard of it, but most hadn't, and I was told just to literally untwist it. Anyways, like I said, I think this was a freak occurance, and otherwise it was very easy to take care of. Mine was already attached to a rock when I got it, and moved around on the rock just a little, but not allover the tank.

socalracer

so it seems like a lot of people have them.....last question one site says that they prefer to be placed in the sand (or rock crevice). I am concerned with the sand part b/c i think for me this would be the ideal place to put it. so has anyone heard of this and it would be going in an aquapod 24 (compact flourescents would the sand be to far away? thanks sorry so long

Most will tell you that t-5's or MH's are required to meet the lighting demands of clown hosting anemones. A tube anemone is an option for you. Placed in the sand, don't move and have wide variety of colors but they do not host clowns.

blownz281

how many watts do you have> not sure it will last long under PC lighting. try to keep it as close to the top of the tank as possible.

socalracer

thanks thomas that did help and it seems that there are no real horror stories with this anenome and that they seem hardy.....my lightimg is 64w compact fluerescents, sorry i said pc's earlier, and they are on a 24g aquapod.......so it seems that my lighting is sufficient so ill post pics if i get it

socalracer

ok im an idiot i thought pc's and compact fluerescents were the same but for some reason i said they weren't flame on