What are snails supposed to be cleaning?

mrdc

My snails prefer the glass, back of the tank and overflow chamber. Basically all flat surfaces. I hardly ever see them on the rocks but at least the nas snails are in the sand. Do the snails prefer the flat surfaces because it feels better? I mean they probably never get such a smooth surface in the wild so maybe glass is a treat for them. I can put a bunch of new snails on the rocks and in a day or two they are all on the glass and I never see them on the rocks again. Right now I have some rocks that could use a good cleaning!!!

btldreef

My Nerites and Astreas don't stay on my rocks as much as my Trochus snails do. The younger Nerites will stick to the rocks more, but as they get older they tend to move to the glass/overflows.

mrdc

Why do you remove them? I have them all over the place and have not touched them.

mrdc

Gotcha! So far I have 100s of egss on the back glass and I few power heads. I saw a nerite mow down some serious hard algae about a month ago and they became my favorite snail. I just do not care for turbos anymore though I had to get several today because I need something. I got some zebras too so time will tell if they are good.

mrdc

Meant to say on a few powerheads. I am using this spell check thing and I have no clue to what it is thinking.