What are the appropriate PH levels for corals?

saltymarine

My PH is 7.8-7.9 is this good for coral or should I raise it? What is the best? What is the best product to use to keep it maintained?
I am already doing weekly water changes at about 25%. Thanks

saltymarine

I think I just found out. 8.1-8.4 are best from what I am reading. I have had people tell me that buffers are the way to go and others say otherwise. What would you recommend for a 29G? Thanks

C

cust11

A PH of 8.1-8.3 is ideal. Try to stay away from buffers and additives because you don't want your tanks ecosystem to rely on them. Start troubleshooting your low PH. Is the tank covered or open top? Is there enough oxygenation in the water?
EDIT:
A stable PH is better than a flux in PH ie: 7.6 to 7.8 to 7.5 to 8.0

saltymarine

Tank is covered and there is a lot of circulation. I know people have said that covering the tank makes a difference but if I uncover it my VHO bulbs will get ruined.

jerryatrick

Originally Posted by SaltyMarine
http:///forum/post/2985694
Tank is covered and there is a lot of circulation. I know people have said that covering the tank makes a difference but if I uncover it my VHO bulbs will get ruined.
Unless you have massive turbulence at the surface I don't think your bulbs will get ruined. Most of my fixtures don't have protective shields and I have them placed about 3 inches from the water line. With that said though, sometimes a fish will cause water to shoot up at the fixture. You are playing it safe but overall a lid will affect the gas exchange in your tank.

saltymarine

Ok so what I will do is try and take it off and see how much hits my bulbs over a couple of days. It is two pieces so maybe I will take one off and leave one on and then test it. How long before I should see a difference?

i stuck a tiny pump in my tank with a tiny stone in the rear chamber to create bubbles...after my room got hot and humid but the tank wasnt getting any oxygen almost lost everything one summer night, room was hot an sticky but tank was cool around 81 but the water wasnt being oxygented woke up and everything was on sand breathing hard. and ph was crazy wrong. but since my stone has been in ph has been stable and the water is being oxygenated