What are the benefits of LS/LR?

redhermit

Hi I'm a new member to this board but I've read a lot of the posts already about LS/LR. I've being doing saltwater for about 2 years now and have a 46 & 15 gal F/O with about a 1/4 to 1/2" of CC. I use a canister filter with bio wheels and a powerhead/w cartridge for surface agitation on the 46 and an all-in-one hood on the 15. The fish are healthy and I haven't had any problems. What could you tell me about LS/LR that would want me to change?

mr . salty

The first,and most benafitial reason is the added biological filteration that they provide.The live sand is superior over CC for a number of reasons.It doesnt have all the nooks and crannies that CC has,so fish waste and uneaten food can not become trapped in it and rot,causing raised nitrate readings.A sand bed does not need to be vaccumed.It also provides areas where special bacteria live that actually transform nitrate to harmless nitrogen gas.Thus compleating the nitrogen cycle.I believe that live rock,and live sand make my tank look much more like a natural reef type setting.I like it,and I'm sure my fish LOVE it...