What are these?

clownme

I tried to match these various things the the images in the hithiker guide, but no luck. Was hoping to find out if the black stuff on the LR should be removed. The sponges? Good or bad? I seem to also have two live clams....ditch 'em? Look over the pics and let me know. The LR has been in for two days.

clownme

Anyone????? I was curious about the red cucumer looking thing, the black sponge like stuff, as well as the hair like stuff attached to the live clam.

clownme

Do you see the one that looks like an orange fan or tongue? There is one on one of the other rocks that is obviously deceased....tank is just starting to smell. I tested the Ammonia 0.8 ! How long can I expect the ammonia spike to last? Also there was another thread that IMPLIED the black slimy like sponge was bad Yes or No?
Comments?

ophiura

The tank is cycling. Its normal, IMO. You may want to try some small water changes to control the spike and run some carbon. But otherwise that looks like very nice LR to me.

clownme

What is a good way to run carbon if I onlt have two 600PH's and a Remora protien skimmer (hang-on).
Thanks for you're help, I appreciate it :happy:

birdy

For running carbon or phosphate media, the best HOB is some type of fluidized filter, I really like the phosban reactor, and I use it to run carbon, very inexensive if you look online.

shnabbles

You can run carbon by filling a panty hose leg with carbon and hanging it infront of a power head.... Unless you have a mechanical filter then just put it in there lol

clownme

Thank you for the compliments on the rock. It aqua-cultured rock I believe or Florida live rock. The fiji rock at the LFS did not have a lot of color so he ordered me a 48 lb box. I am very happy. :joy: