What are they?

pjonesryan

They are about the size of small ants, appear almost clear and travel around the lr and sand bed like ants. They have alot of legs and long antenna on their heads. Also tiny worms that are half orange and half gray. Any ideas?

pjonesryan

Thanks, tank is a 55 with these creatures and tube-fan worms as its only tenants for 5 months. I'm trying to create an environment that will support a pair of Brazialian seahorses and a pair of mandrian gobies. Are you familiar with keeping these?

jcb101

you probley have a lot more in that tank than you realize. I am not familar with either of them, but I do believe the sea horses need a tall tank to get along. Another site that might be of help with the seahorse would be <a href="http://www.reefcentral.com" target="_blank">http://www.reefcentral.com</a> good luck

carrie1429

With keeping seahorses you need to have the right enviorment for them. First of all your tank would be better if it was tall (as mentioned above) because seahorses like the water to be deep. Also they like to have lots of things to hang onto such as plants, feather dusters and rock. I found that a very good rock for seahorse tanks is the tonga branch live rock. This rock has branches witch is perfect for seahorses to grab onto with their tails. Also these creatures are very delicate and need the right kind of care so you need to know what you are doing. Mostly seahorses love to eat coepods (like the mandrains do), they like live brine shrimp too a lot. Some people find it actually easier to raise brine shrimp for their horses. There shouldn't be any fish with the horses except mandrains and pipefish. The horses and pipefish get along well as the seahorses like to hook their tail onto the pipes and get rides on them.
They like a little current but not very much because if there is too much for them they could injure themselves by getting blown around in the current. I also wouldn't reccommend getting things like cleaner shrimp or crabs that may bother the horses witch can lead to stress.
But if you want to learn a lot more about seahorses setting up their enviorment, tank mates, and more I reccommend going to <a href="http://www.seahorse.org," target="_blank">www.seahorse.org,</a> they have a message board and evything you need to know about keeping seahorses. Hope this has been help to you and good luck! ;)

pjonesryan

Appreciate your advice, I am determined to have the best environment possible established before I bring these beautiful creatures home

j21kickster

Also having a cpr hang-on-tank refugium wouldnt hurt especially b/c mandarins live almost exculusivealy on copepods/amphipods. Seahorses and mandarins arent the best animals to keep for a beginner. although they are awsome they need special care. with lots of research and the will to do it, its possible. Be careful though they will compet for food and animals that love these "bugs" cand strip a 55 gal fairly quickly

pjonesryan

The tank has been going for 6 months now and these pods are everywhere. Do you think they can reproduce fast enough to support 2 each of the mandrians and horses. I have a 110 with a pair of yellow tangs that have been the only residents for almost 5 years and a 125 with a pair of orandas that are 6 years old. Numbers dont bother me and Im willing to wait as long as I have to. Do you think I should perhaps choose one or the other as they both require the same foods? I would think with such a headstart that a single pair of say, mandrians would flourish as they will be the only residents. Thanks again for taking the time to help me.

striker

How much lr do you have in the 55gal. In my 29 gallon I have over 60lbs and my mandarin is tearing up the pod population. You will need a hellova lot of lr to keep 2 of them. I'm lucky because the one I own also eats frozen brine(rare).

pjonesryan

I would say the tank is about half full of lr that came from my 110 and the rest skeltons. I was one of those people who happened to be in the right place at the right time when a large lfs went bankrupt in my area and I came away with alot of lr. how ever I am only now realizing what an opportunity I have and am trying to learn as much as possible,while I am not exactly what most would consider a new hobbist I will always be in my eyes. I started out with three tangs and lost one inside of a week and have had the other two for over 5 years due problabaly to all the lr and tank I got when the store went down.Im ashamed to say I havn't taken care of the lr, but I have ordered vho lighting and am determined to make things right with help from people such as your selves. I can't thank each of you enough.