what are your thoughts on Caribbean Live Rock

jjman101

I picked up some caribbean live rock the other day at my LFS and i think it is really cool. Are there any bad things that come with this kinda or rock or is there another kind of live rock that is perferred?The worst thing i have found so far is that it was 11.99/LB

jjman101

yea i wish it did comes with nemo. I only got a six pounder. because of the price he said i could order 25lbs of it for only 200 which works out to about $8/lb but i can't spend that much on it right now.

armageddon

I live in Alberta, Canada and the rock is quite expensive up here everywhere you go. Sucks to order it from the states because our doller sucks.

nas19320

Wow thats insane. I know of an online site that sells it for $1.95/ lb. Add shipping and its 1.49/lb for next day air.

armageddon

yeah its 10 bones a LB where i live. You make a great point, i also did get to choose all the pieces i wanted. I picked some great ones with excellent surface to volume ratios. Tons of surface area for bacteria to grow and lots of holes for fish to hide and sleep.

Here is some of my FL aquacultured rock that was flown to me on my local airline (Canada may not be a problem, I am in Minnesota). I got it for 2.50/ lb, plus shipping, which equaled about 4.50/ lb total. Yes, I did not get to pick it out, but I think I got some nice stuff. By the way, This is the base rock, they will be sending me my decorator rock to top it off in the future. Since I paid for it all at once, the cost was the same per pound for all of the rock
Good Luck,
-Christine

sooner97

Those rocks look pretty nice, Zafirablanca. I have a few questions about them and I tried to email you a note, but I wasn't permitted. Could you send me a quick email? Thanks.

ty_05_f

I got carribean rock pretty cheap from another online dealer. And i really like it. But i think the price you paid was way too high.

E

elan

man.. for that price, you can probably go to fiji and pick some yourself....lol
i have seen rock for 9.99 a lb.. and thats the most expensive i have seen....
i like getting my rock from LFS as well.. you get to pick and choose, and leave all the "crap" behind... and best of all... the die-off is minimal since its out of the water for a short period of time.
and i have seen rock as cheep as 4.00 a lb at the LFS... not much cheeper than that, and it was uncured rock...

I know online dealers with carib rocks for 1.95/ lbs but it's uncured. So when we bought it for the center, we had to wait three weeks to put them in. I'd buy it for more than that if it was cured

jjman101

yea i know it's a bit spending but it is awesome stuff and i have picked so awesome rocks up a couple even have xmas trees on them :) my LFS didn't notice that. so has the carribean rock been doing good for you guys then it seems to be great in my tanks i love. just was wondering if there were any negatives to this kind of rock.

jjman101

i really should have read over that last post be before i submitted it. It's a little hard to read sorry guys.