What brought you to this site and why do you stay?

bacia

Originally Posted by Dustbunny
My friend was researching angelfish he could put in his brand-new tank, after I saw it I took a look at the forums and I haven't gotten off my computer yet. This is the first forum I've ever joined seriously and (one day and about 50 cups of coffee later) the only reason I've been away from my computer and this website is to go to work. Is that a bad thing?

Yes, work is a bad thing....but we have to do it to pay for this addicting life style. Notice I did not say hobby. Hobbies are someting you so every so often. Saltwater is a "Life Style" and I love it. :joy:

bbb

We came here looking for some decent places to buy fish because the lfs dosn't have a good selection and I stay here because I enjoy talking to people who are addicted like me.

n2theblue

My roomate showed up one day with a saltwater tank from a friend who was moving, and neither of us knew anything about saltwater fish. The frantic search for information in the following days led me here. I've since bought a bigger tank and am enormously grateful for all the info I have absorbed since being here!

S

sea_star

We met a guy once at the store who said he only comes to the LFS to see what fish he wants to buy on SWF.com. So if it wasn't for that guy, I never would have found it! I think the ordering is so much more convenient than driving to the store with the possibility of not seeing any suitable/healthy/compatible fish.

mrsdorothy

I stumbled upon this site while doing research on how to set up a saltwater tank. I had been doing freshwater tanks for few years but there was something about the look and diversity of saltwater tanks that fasinated me. Since I khad a few problems when I started out in freshwater, I did not want to make the same mistakes in saltwater. I wanted to learn as much as I could in a short time. This site had all of the information I needed. I bought a few books, but I did not learn anything that I had not already learned here.

velvetchs

I was looking for info on fish and I found this site. It took awhile before I realized there was a message board. I love reading the funny stories people post, but mostly I pay attention to tips that people give. Although, I wish I would have found the boards before I set up my tank... I would have started with live rock rather than buying it a little at a time.

wattsupdoc

Like others, I googled saltwater fish as I was converting from FW to SW. I find this forum to be well organized and ergonomic. (user friendly). I recieved some tremendous help in some of my times of perile. I believe in the "pay it forward" approach and so I stay to repay my debts. I continue to recieve help and am very grateful for everyone here. Especially those who I can give a hand to so that the SW Gods on here may relax.
I owe any successes that I may have to the "Family" of SW lovers here. My failures will be of my own demise.

squidd

Originally Posted by sepulatian
Wow, that is interesting. I take it your name isn't Beth?
Nahh...I think it's Roger or Julio or something like that...But we can never get "Beth"...(like that's her "real" name
) to admit it...
Heck when I came here I didn't know much about computers...much less SW Fish...Was looking for fish to buy for my newly acquired Shark tank (no local LFS at the time) and found a "message board" ...
Kinda cool actually...type in a question and "Poof" someone actually answers...and then you can reply back...
How cool is that..???
(OK Fine..I've been hiding out alone in the backwoods for too long...
)

triga22

Ive been coming to this site for a couple of years and just this year noticed message boards. This has helped me with my tank greatly. I learn somethin each and every day. I wanted to come to this site so bad that since they wouldnt allow yahoo email adresses I forgot the password for my bellsouth one so I sat on the fone on hold for about 2 1/2 hours to find my password =[.. But im happy im here it was worth it.

shogun323

I housesat for some friends when they went to Hawaii and watched after numerous pets as well as a 180 gallon reef tank. After zoning out in front in their tank for a week I decided I should get one too. I typed saltwater fish tank into google and up came SWF.com . After reading and searching hundreds of threads I decided to take the plunge and get a tank as well as signup on this message board.
As far as why I stay, I stick around because I can't leave. I have come to believe that this site is a cult and I am completely sucked in. Aside from that I love these boards because they provide a wealth of information from varied perspectives.

wonderwit

riafekim said:
I came to this site on a recommendation from a friend. I am just getting into this hobby and we went to this site because they had the best deals on fish. QUOTE]
A friend? That's all I am to you? I'm gonna tell mom on you!

windmill

What brought me here was a google search for saltwater fish suppliers because my local fish store sucks and I hate *****.
What keeps me here is the ability to make a nuisance of myself even while I work. Also the pictures are nice. Seriously, the amount of knowledge and experience to be found here in the forums is amazing.

arandacole

I had just purchased a complete 90 gallon tank and knew nothing at all about it. I started searching for forums... I found a couple that seemed pretty good, but ended up only using this forum.
Love,
A