What Bulbs for T5 IceCap Retrofit 3-Lamp Setup?

alvin

Hello again SWF,
I am planning on purchasing a 4ft IceCap T5 Retrofit 3-Lamp kit due to my canopy size(660 Ballast and SLR reflectors). I was wondering what bulbs do you recommend? I plan on going Reef now that I will have this T5 lighting. I have seen a few 4 bulb setups, but not sure about 3. I do like the bluish look to show the nice fish color, but I do want my future Zoas to grow, as well as coraline =)
Here at our LFS, they sell GLO bulbs, I have no idea what kind those are and if they are good are not.
Ok, let me know.
Thanks again for all your help!

reefraff

Why only 3 lamps?
Stick with the good lamps, ATI, GE Giesemann, Aquascience or UVL. The cheaper lamps wont hold up to the overdriving.

alvin

I can only fit 3 lamps with the reflectors. I can try to fit 4, but I don't want to take my chances haha. So I guess I'll stick with ATI brand, but I need some suggestions on Color.
So Wango suggests 2 ATI Blue Plus.
any other suggestions?

alvin

Bump. Anyone know where in Sacramento, CA supplies ATI bulbs by the way. Or do I have to go on line.

alvin

Ok, on line it is. So is the ATI configuration above the best option, as far as bulb color combos.

alvin

Hmmm.. Ok, well I just want to bring out the color of the fish. Not sure if that ATI Blue Plus is like Blue Blue. But if that will help with Zoa's, I'll get that. I don't want it like Night Blue. I want the fish to know that it is Daytime, so hopefully that ATI one fits the specs.

alvin

Anybody recommend the ATI True Actinic instead of the Blue Plus?
Again, I do NOT want a night blue look, but kind of a day time blue look. Whiteish blue i guess.

alvin

Ok, i'm going to be buying bulbs this week. Will the setup above give me a Whitish Blue look. I don't want it too dark blue. Your suggestions will be helpful before I purchase. That is around $20 a bulb.

wangotango

It will be more blue than white, but not as blue as a pure actinic look. You could always "whiten" it by replacing the center bulb with something in the 6,000-10,000K range, like a midday bulb.
-Justin

alvin

Oh on a side note,
I remember seeing a thread with someone showing quite a bit of T5 Bulbs, showing their color with the PAR ratings. I can't find it anymore. I basically want to see what the color of the ATI bulbs are compared to other brands. Though I'm leaning towards ATI. Just having problems deciding, and would like to locate that thread again. =)

alvin

Ok, I guess I'll be getting a better deal if I get the 4 Bulb setup. So What ATI 4 Bulb setup would be good? I was thinking
AquaBlue Special
Blue +
AquaBlue Special
Blue +
Again, I would like to keep a Clam, and some Zoas. No Hard Corals.
Should I add a True Actinic in the mix rather than a blue + ?
Oh yah, so a 48" T5 Retro Fit 4 Bulb kit with bulbs, icecap 660, reflectors for $378 shipped, is that a reasonable price?

alvin

Ok so how about
AquaBlue Special
True Actinic 03
AquaBlue Special
Blue +
for my 4 bulb setup?
Again, will be purchasing this week. so I really need opinions. I want a Whitish/Blue look.