What Can I Do

B

bobby & kari

i had a major ich problem it killed off all of my fish all i have left is live rock and corals 1 camel back shrimp and 2 star fish i have got to get the ich out of there so it will be a while before i put any fish back in there what can i do to get rid of it how long should i wait to put fish back in there please help me

tim

As far as I can tell, from this board, you need to leave the tank empty of fish (host for the ich parasite) for at least 6 weeks before adding new fish. The ich should die off without the host present.

jcb

What can I tell you.... Ich is one of those dirty little

[hr]
that can totally devastate a beautiful marine environment. Although it only affects the fish, the hobbyist will try anything to stop it, but, in doing so, ends up hurting most of the creatures in the system. It's a sad reality that most in the hobby will experience at one time or another.
About one year ago, when my system too became afflicted with this "ich", I lost all of my fish. Fortunately, I didn't quit like most do, and decided to wait about six months before adding fish again. Let me tell you, it was a true challenge of will. But I stuck it out, and six months after the ordeal, I purchased two beautiful fish: a purple tang and a marroon clownfish. To date, they are still doing great!
Now to answer your question: Some individuals will recommend that a person wait no less than 45 days before adding fish again (the rule here is the longer the better); the reasoning behind this is that by that time the ich creatures that were alive in the system have died because they haven't had a host on which to feed off of. One must consider, though, that those creatures left eggs that will remain dormant until another host (fish) comes along. The recommended action is to syphon over the top of the sandbed so as to remove as many of those unhatched eggs as possibe.
All in all, it seems that ich is prevalent in all marine systems; there's no way of eliminating every single creature. With this in mind, one must always try to maintain the most stress-free environment possible. A strong immune systeme is all any fish needs to win the war over this "ich".

B

bobby & kari

so the ich wont go on mt shrimr or starfish because beleive me im at the point of giving up i had my tank the way i wanted it and was beautiful put a powder blue tang in there and they all got sick i look at all the money i have in this system and wanna cry but i am deterimend to re build i guess i will wait a while before i try to put any more fish in the tank

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Ich is a fish parasite. Everything else in your tank is safe. However, as stated above, you must leave your tank fishless for at leat 6 wks so that the parasites remaining in the tank will die off.
The solution to never having ich enter your marine tank again and to viturally eliminating this problem is to quarantine all new incoming fish and performing hyposalinity on them--even if they don't have ich.