What Can I keep with Crushed Coral Sand?

alvin

HI SWF,
I currently have a 110 gal tank, and I know that I made the mistake of buying CC from a lfs, but I honestly do not have the money to purchase aragonite sand. I am in Sacramento, and the lfs is selling aragonite sand for like $1 per lb. I heard that I need around 200 lbs to get a DSB, and I am not willing to spend that much on sand at this point. My question is what kind of fish can I put with CC? I currently have a large diamond goby, that keeps the CC very clean. I also have 2 Fluval 405 canister filters and 2 Maxi Jet 1200's. I have some rock LR, but am planning on buying probably one more and some dead base rock.
So all in all, what kind of fish, and probably inverts (if possible) can i keep in a CC tank with live rock. or what can I NOT keep :help:
or do you all think I should spend the money to get aragonite sand? If so, anybody know where I can get some decent priced aragonite sand around the Sacramento area? I am actually closer to Elk Grove area.
Thanks in advanced

thud

Some people choose to use "play sand" which can be found at Agway, home depot or lowes. But you have to rinse it very very well.
It's cheap and works and I've done it.

reefforbrains

Craigslist is heavy in Sac area. Might try looking up someone breaking down or that is selling a large tank. I am sure they wouldnt mind hookin up a fellow hobbiest

alvin

So I shouldn't even consider keeping my Crushed Coral sand base? Is the Playsand better than having a CC base? I know i've seen Quickrete playsand at lowe's or at home depot, but is that really better than what I have now, which is of course the CC. Also, remember I do have a diamond goby, that cleanse the crap from the bottom, or at least that is what i am thinking. Does that even matter with CC anyways haha.
oh yah, and I am planning on just using the normal flourescent lights that came on the canapoy for now. I do not plan on getting the MH lighting due to money right now, but MAYBE later. But i would like some other fish rather than my diamond goby in my 110 gal tank.
So your advice and help would be very helpful =)

nick76

CC will involve alot more time and upkeep to care for. Sand basically takes care of itself in a manner of speaking.

alvin

But what I am hearing is that CC is bad only because food gets stuck in between there, which turns into nitrates. BUT since I do have a large diamond goby that keeps it very clean, isn't that considered "upkeeping the CC"? or just go with the Home Depot Play Sand?
I am planning on doing this stuff within the week.

stanlalee

there arent a whole lot of restrictions on things you cant keep with crush coral. the only thing that comes to mind are wrasses that bury. I wouldn't put conches or any sand buriers but there arent that many restrictions.

alvin

So basically, should i switch out my CC for QuickCrete PlaySand? since Aragonite is expensive here.
Unless someone can let me know where I can find some aragonite sand for a decent price around the Sacramento/Stockton Area.

Again, it seems as though my Goby is doing a good job, but then again, i haven't tested my water in a while, I will probably do so tonight. But yah, your advice is much appreciated!

jasony

Originally Posted by alvin
So basically, should i switch out my CC for QuickCrete PlaySand? since Aragonite is expensive here.
Unless someone can let me know where I can find some aragonite sand for a decent price around the Sacramento/Stockton Area.

Again, it seems as though my Goby is doing a good job, but then again, i haven't tested my water in a while, I will probably do so tonight. But yah, your advice is much appreciated!

i switched out my CC for the cheap hoem depot quickrete play sand (3 dollar a bag)... and it was the best thing (and cheapest) i ever did for my tank so far..
it looks like a totally different tank now (in a good way because the substrate is so uniform and clean) any algae that starts to grow is quickly blown off and sucked into my filter.. any detrius is eaten by my crabs..

carter3

You can also use the cheap sand and seed the top with a cup of live sand and that would spread to the rest and become live sand. I think I read some where before that cc would become a problem at sometime or another. Just do a search here on cc and see what you get. I just mix lr with base rock and not even 2 days later I've seen hitchhickers, so good luck.!!!

ironsnipes

i have #10 c.c i do frequent water changes and havent had any trouble so far, i have a flame angel, 3x green chromises, and 2x ocellaris clowns in a 55 gal, i turn my water over about 15 times an hour. although i havent had any problems i eventually would like to convert to sand. my suggestion would be not to buy live sand because you do not know how long it has been in that bag-shoot the bacteria are probably already dead when you get it. i wouldnt waste your money. i would just get some dry sand not to small of grain though, some that looks about the size of cat litter. you can get 25# for about 12 or 13$. and then just get some bio zyme and/or some bacteria from your lfs. hope this helps, good luck

saltfan

I have X-Fine CC. Never had any trouble with it at all. Fish include...Sailfin Tang...Yellow Tang...Scopus Tang...FoxFace...OC Clown Fish...CopperBand Butterfly...Several Chromis...And several softies and polyps.. Its all in the maintenance my friend. Not alot of difference between the Sand and the CC, unless you have the BIG CC, which takes a lil more maintenance. Its all in a 135g tank. 3-4" base with no external filters on it. Just a pump and returns. I micron the water once a week to clean it up some.

darknes

Crushed Coral is really not that much of a problem as people say if cared for properly. IMO, if you're keeping a fish-only tank, and siphon out the CC, you should be fine.
I'd advise against using playsand, especially if you have a diamond goby. Most playsand is made of Silica, and has sharp edges. This can cause problems for any burrowers or sand sifters like your goby.

alvin

Thanks for all the replies. I guess for now I will keep my CC, and one day I will change to aragonite sand. I'm sure my Diamond Goby will take care of things