what can kill a clam

q

Clams need alot of light. The smaller ones require more food.
Bristle worms should be harmless.

wamp

There are some worms out there that can eat your clams but I don't know their name.. I will try to find out and post it later. Most bristle worms are harmless to clams.

sonny

Bristle worms can and will attack clams. They will enter the clam from below, through the bysal opening. That is why some people say not to put clams on sand, as this is an invitation to the bristle worms in the sand. Make sure you know what clams need. Most species of Tridactna clams require intense light, and will only do well under metal halide lights at least 250 watts. Water conditions need to be perfect, and calcium levels need to be over 400 ppm. Smaller clams need supplemental feeding, so beware of them. Larger clams feed on the sugars produced by the algae that live in the mantle, and they have to have the proper spectrum and intensity of light to do well.
Good luck,
Sonny

ironreef

most bristle worms are harmless. they will go after the clam if its dying. They /most eat dead or dying meat. Every tank has brislte worms. Most likely if they hunted clams know one would beable to keep them

reefhappy

what if the clam falls on the sand and you pick it up as soon as you see it will the brisle worms hurt it that fast at my lfs the guy told me that i would need a arrow crab to kill the brisle worms is this a good thing to get and my tank is a 37 gallon with a smartlite. will this provide good light for a clam.The lite is for a eclispe 3 and that is what i have at the lfs they had a crocean clam in a eclispe 2 under a smartlite and it was doing good.thanks for all help giving

k.lee

Originally posted by Q:
<strong>Clams need alot of light. The smaller ones require more food.
Bristle worms should be harmless.</strong><hr></blockquote>
I recently saw somewhere BW, would attack clams /shrug and, yes, I'm not talking about the few rarities which eat polyps. :(

ironreef

If a clams is already dying many things will go after worms ,snails nass type ,crabs ect.. I have all my clams on the sand 100-1,000 of brisle worms for yrs. They even live under the clams never touch them. I've had clams die and then be eaten but never healthy ones. The ones that did die were small. probally not enough filter food in there way back when.... I didn't know better. Arrow crab will do more harm than good imo

fshhub

some stars and fish, bristle worms, crabs climbing in them many things can kill a clam, basically anything that could climb or swim inside and irritate it, or attack it
in addition to the lighing and water condition problems they may face
hth