What do cleaner shrimps eat?

kroch3rd

do you need to feed a cleaner shrimp? do they eat algea? do they need an established aquarium? my tanks a month and a half old. 75g 60lbs lr.
parameters
ammonia-0
trite-0
trate-0
sp 1.024-1.025
ph was 8.3 3 days ago. can't tell from test kit now
i was thinking about buying one tomorrow. what do you think?
any advice will help. thanks

reefreak29

sp looks good at 1.025 but i would what a couple months, remember to acclimate slowly, i feed mine misys shrimp

rbrockm1

keep parameters how they are. keep correct iodine levels. they will eat pellets, flakes what ever you feed your fish.

kroch3rd

im starting to get some hair algea now. i have 1 clown that has been there for under a week. what should i get for a cleaning crew. ( i guess ill get snails tomorrow) but is there anything else good for a startup cleaning crew? (prefer not to get )any crabs

rbrockm1

you could try a lawnmower blenny. they love hair algea. if you run out of that they will eat what you feed your other fishies. mine loves seaweed and pellets, hes weird, he doesn't like brine shrimp. i think they are cute

reefreak29

Originally Posted by rbrockm1
y don't you want crabs? hermits don't bother anything
they will bother snails , i had an algea blenny that didnt eat hair algea

kroch3rd

any starfish that would be good for my tank? ( i dont really like brittles but if they are the best starfish as a savenger than id get one) any ideas?

seasalt101

the starfish takes out the bad bacteria and they take out the good bacteria also depleting your tank of the benefiicial macro-stuff so it would eventually starve read up on ophuira's postings she is an expert on starfish, amongst other things very smart lady. there are plenty of cool looking snails that can do the job what they have on this site is kinda limited for the snails so just google saltwater snails/aquarium look at bumblebee's, halloween, etc. you will find what you need. tobin :happyfish

hyeclass

good day, I have 4 clean up shrimp i am thinking to get a one fire shrimp will cleanup shrimp kill the fire shrimp?