what do clownfish eat exactly

drewster

I'm a little puzzled at what my clownfish like to eat. When i bought my entire setup the guy gave me a ton of food. I have flakes, large and small pellets, and freeze dried plankton. I've tried all of them and they seem to like the pellets the most but they usually spit them out and let them fall to the ground. Am i feeding them the wrong food or are they finding their food when i'm not around.

S

sshorem

I feed mine frozen brine, minced uncooked peel and eat shrimp (the kind you buy in a fish market (all my fishes and critters LOVE it)), and frozen fomrula 2 algae.

mainejo1

Brine Shrimp, fresh or frozen grocery store shrimp, occasional bloodworms. I tried flake food, and it was auto-reject!

drewster

alright, when you guys say brine shrimp does that mean those "sea monkeys"? The little eggs you threw in water when you were a kid and they hatched into tiny shrimp? Am i supposed to make my own brine shrimp in another container and then take an eyedropper or turkey baster and shoot some into the tank to feed my clownfish?

peter

Clowns love frozen brine shrimp.I also feed mine flake food,because of the nutritional value of flake. I alternate at feedings.But you must whine them off of the shrimp,otherwise they wont touch flakes.Also it is a good idea to ask the fish supplier what they were feeding them so they are still getting the same food.

drewster

well, i got these fish from the guy who owned my tank. He gave me a variety of food and i forgot to ask him what exactly they were eating. I tried the flakes and they wouldn't even touch them. I tried the pellets and they seem to eat them but sometimes spit them out. I have no pet or fish stores in this town so i'm out of luck for a week until I move back home to Detroit where there should be tons of stores. How much are frozen brine shrimp cubes? How do they sell them?

dennish

Originally posted by Drewster:
...a week until I move back home to Detroit where there should be tons of stores. How much are frozen brine shrimp cubes? How do they sell them?

Here in the Grand Rapids area I bought a package of about 50 cubes .5 x.5 x.5 inch for about $4.(not bad). I just bought 2 clowns last weekend and they, along with the 3 damsels, eat anything I put in the tank! Flakes, pellets, but they all go crazy with excitement when I put the shrimp in! It works best to get a small paper cup of tank water, and let the cube melt in there first, then slowly dump it in for them. I also share it with my goldfish and fidler crab in a brackish tank.
Also I found a couple NICE fish shops in the Detroit area while searching the web. I don't recall the names or locations now, but if I can find them again I'll let you know. I was hoping to visit them next time I have to venture over to that side of the state.
-Dennis

[This message has been edited by DennisH (edited 05-04-2000).]

Your fish spits out the pellets because it is too big for the fish to eat all at once, so when they take it in there mouth, they bite a chunk off, spit it out to swallow, and will find another pellet to eat off. The extra goes to the bottom that they will more than likely eat during the next few hours. My Clown loves the frozen brine shrimp, but you gotta make sure not to give too much, its like chocolate to little kids, there is never enough!