What do I keep in 15g nano? Need some hardy fish suggestions!

peanut1181

I'm just starting a 15g nano with 15g refugium and I'm going to cycle with Damsels, but in a few weeks when that is all done with, what do you suggest I keep? I need some hardy fish that will eat prepared food because in such a short time my pod population won't be high enough to support anything that feeds on them. Any suggestions would be welcomed. Also, what kind of "cleanup crew" would you recommend? Thanks for your help boys and girls! :cool:
Graydon

justinx

I would avoid cycling with damsels. I used LR and LS, and I cycled in 9 days. The damsels will be difficult to remove, and are somewhat cruel. Use a raw shrimp if you want. Also, As far as fish go once you cycle, firefish, clown fish, gobies, dottybacks, royal gramma, basically anything that stays small. And I also think that I would limit it to one fish at most. Because after the rock and sand are in there, you will have only about ten gallons of water or so. Best of luck, and welcome aboard!

tiffster

I have a 15 gallon with a ten gallon sump/ refugium, so maybe I can help you out a little.
I agree with the damsel thing, don't do it. They get kinda large and nasty when they get older ( usually) I have a false percula clown and a Sgt. Major damsel a customer brought to me in an Arby's cup. The Sgt. major started off smaller than the clown and is now almost twice his size. ( He is either going to Tybee Island marine science center or the LFS. )
Anyway, as far as clean up crew I have 3 redleg hermits, 3 blue leg hermits, one orange and black leg hermit, a brittle star, and 5 snails in the display. In the sumpfugium I have one redleg and one mystery hermit (don't know what kind he is) and a banished emerald crab. I would definitly wait on the starfish if you get one at all. You read a lot of starfish horror stories on here with new tanks. I spot feed mine about once a week and keep the SG constant and he/she seems pretty happy.
With two fish, I don't have any problems maitaining water quality. I have a lot of live rock and the refugium helps too. The only additives I use are pH/KH buffer and calcium. I have started using coral accel, but I am unsure about it for the moment. I do 2 gallon water changes every other week and everybody seems to be happy and growing well!
Anyway, every tank is different so things that work for me may not work for you, but good luck. If you want to know anything else, just ask! Oh, the tank is a little over a year old.
Tiff

overanalyzer

Ditto above but I would say go for either a pair of clowns (perc or osc. they stay small) or maybe a small school of firefish - like 3 of 'em ....
another thought is a clown goby and a firefish ..... personality and some vibrant colors!!