What do I need to do to get my tank up and running again? Fish Advice too!

enriqueb

I went out of town and had my roommate take care of my tank which he didn't do. Hence my fish died. I shut everything off and have left it for 2 or 3 months. I have a 29gal with a wet/dry filter. About 20lb of what was live rock. It has been a FOWLR tank. I am planning on doing a serious water change, starting the pumps back up and testing the water? Should I try to re-cycle it by throwing a raw shrimp in there? What else should i do?
Also, I have a JEBO protein skimmer (a gift) which I have never hooked up, Should i hook it up? How important is a skimmer in a 29gal.
I have been thinking about purchasing a UV sterilizer. What do you all think about them? Are they worth the money?
Lastly, what fish should I go with? I lost quite a few fish my first time around, one that i never saw eat at the store and died, another that died because of big temperature changes (i didnt have a heater at the time) and three others which died within a month of being bought (i dont really know why). I have tried to do my research but im pretty ignorant on the subject and am learning as i go. What fish should I go with and in what order? I like clowns, six lines, dwarf angels etc. etc.. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks alot.

lexluethar

To start off i would not use the water that was in the tank already. If you had water sitting in a tank, not moving or being filtered for three months i would think it would be stagnant and smell like utter crap. I could be totally wrong on that, but to be safe i personally would start with new water.
Drain your tank, scrub off your LR since it probably has a bunch of dead crap on it - possibly put some new sand in there with whatever you have in there now. I would also add about 10 lbs of rock. Put the new water / salt in there and let the water cycle with the filters on for a bit. I would then start the protein skimmer AFTER your tank has been on and working for a few days. Then you will need to cycle your tank, go buy ONE raw shrimp and throw it into the tank. Then over the next few days test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates.
Onces your ammonia rises, it will fall with the rise of nitrites, then nitrites will fall with the rise of nitrates. Once ammonia and nitrites read 0 and you have notciable nitrates, do a 20 percent water change and you are ready for fishies.
I don't know why your fish died before, possibly from what you said "ignorance" and didn't realize certain steps and procations that need to be taken. I would go with two clownfish and maybe one other small fish. In a 29 gallon tank you can only hold about 3 - 4 small fish, and most on this site will probably tell you only 2.
Just read up on the hobby and you'll do fine, ignorance is no excuse for killing things or for going into a hobby blind. Read read read, you wouldn't go and purchase a dog without doing proper research, so do the same for your fish. Buy a book, ask questions, and research, the Internet can be a great tool when used properly.

Mike

mr. limpid

Also if I may add its good time to rinse out that wet dry, also when buying any fish have the lfs (local fish store) feed the fish you want to buy. Because if it wont eat for them it wont eat for you. Also good time to set up QT (quarantine tank) go to the disease form good thread on how to set up one. Also buy all your equipment b4 you buy fish, I know its hard to do but it will save you money. And last have patience, the number one thing that will save lives and you money is patience. Good luck