what do i need to run a tank just with LR?

thisistodd

I have recently set up a 60 gallon tank downstairs as a place to possibly "grow" LR and other stuff. This is part of my plan on getting a 120+ gallon tank in the spring. I moved some of my LR into this tank from my 50 gallon and got some base rock also. I want to just save some money on LR when i do get the big tank. Also, i would like to try and get a nice pod population going in there. What do I need to add in the tank in order to keep it going? Do i need to put in flakes, phytoplankton? anything? Also all i have for lighting is a single 30 watt fluorescent. should i get something a bit better for the live rock?

dskidmore

I've heard claims that all you need is a light of a bluish tint, and circulation. If you're trying to grow pods, you might want to occasionally put some food in, although some will eat algae. For faster corraline growth, a KW doser or calcium reactor might be a good idea.

duke13

I would suggest live phytoplankton, not the crap on the shelves at your petstore, but the kind that needs to be refridgerated.
Do one appropriate dosage for your tank once a week. That should help get your pod population going.

duke13

Also, get a calcium/mineral block. Just drop it in the water and it'll do the rest. Your tank will only dissolve as much as it needs. This is also a good test to see how your water quality is. If the block dissolves in a couple of days, it's telling you that you're really lacking something.

dskidmore

Originally posted by Duke13
Also, get a calcium/mineral block.

I hadn't heard of that one before. Is this a standard aquarium supplement, or is this from the bird care isle? Isn't it likely to overdose the water?