what do you all think of this tank?

aqualaker24

If you guys can tell me what I should be doing, adding, etc, that would be great!
http://youtu.be/5XpO9FGcdUY

sweatervest13

I did not see any powerheads in the tank... Do you have any??? What kind of filtration do you run??? The water looked kinda cloudy. It could have just been a lot of sand kicked up. I would also suggest two things... 1. Add more live rock. 2. remove the glass tops (to allow for better gas exchange).
Underwater camera= Pretty cool!!!

aqualaker24

thanks for the quick comment! well, I did have powerheads, but because I have 2 "jets" on the the dual over flow i figured it was too much water movement. For the filtration I am currently using a 40gallon sump with protein skimmer and carbon bag (I shouldve added that into the video!). I have about 115lbs of rock... i dont know, I dont feel like putting more just because all the fish i have (except the goby and clownfish) have the potential to grow over 10in. and i didnt want the tank to look over stocked bc of the amount of rock once the fish get that size.
lol thanks! waterproof phone case :)

novahobbies

Hahaha nice video! When you dropped the camera into the water, I did a little double take here. "Wait...what? What did he just do??" Very cool, and now I'm going to go searching for waterproof cases for a Galaxy S3. LOL.
In terms of suggestions, I suppose my pointers would depend on what you want to do with this tank. I'm going to assume FOWLR since you have that beautiful angel and puffer....you're not going to be able to keep many corals or invertebrates with those in there.
First, I agree with the esteemed Mr. Sweater. I know you think there's enough rock, but remember.....live rock is still one of the most efficient biofilters we have, and it's beneficial for the fish in so many ways. You mentioned that you don't want the tank to look overstocked when the fish grow out. It won't, trust me. In fact, if you add more rock and keep an open plan (caves, holes, etc), the fish will make full use of the new hiding spots and will be healthier for it. Right now there's a whole lotta open area. This is cool from our point of view, but it means that a certain number of fish have to compete for a finite number of "hidey holes" in the rock. This is especially true at night, when (in natural reefs around the world) reef fish tend to find a hidden nook or cranny to hunker down in and wait out the nighttime predators.Even though there AREN'T any predators in your tank, the instinct to hide is still strong and will cause the fish stress if they can't find a spot.
I understand if you want to avoid the "pile of rock" look in your tank. Personally I built upwards with columns, and you could also try your hand at adding large rock and mastic them together to form miniature coral bommies for the tank. Two bommies, with a few smaller rocks surrounding the main structures (maybe something bridging between them??) would look VERY cool and original in a tank like yours.
Second, I have to tell you that there's NO such thing as too much flow in most saltwater tanks. There are exceptions to this, but a 135g FOWLR isn't one of them. The more flow, the more gas exchange, and the less chance fish poop has to settle. I'd go with a few big Koralias in there easily....maybe even a WP40 or two.
You didn't mention much about your filtration beyond the skimmer and carbon, and I have to say I noticed a lot of particulate matter floating in the tank. I understand this because I battle it often as well. I think you need a better prefilter to polish the water up a bit. Either a filter sock or a few sheets of filter floss. This has to be changed pretty often, at the bare minimum once a week. Socks can be washed, and filter floss is cheap.
I also noticed some algae growing on the back glass. If you can source Atlantic Grazer snails for a good price, I would keep a good number of them in the tank. You're going to have to replenish them every 6 months or so, because the puffer is going to see these as a nice snack from time to time. Nothing you can do about that, but they are very effective at removing film algae, and if they're cheap, then they sort of serve a dual purpose....cleaning crew, and occasional light snack. Who knew Escargot could be so beneficial??
Anyway, those are my shoot-from-the-hip comments. I'd love to hear more about your tank!

aqualaker24

LOL! The phone I'm using is also a Galaxy s3! I bought the case off of ebay for $30! Best 30 dollars ive ever spent! haha!
first of all, thanks for the lengthy comment! I really do sit and read everything word for word, and I appreciate your advice!
next, I think I will add more rock. I have about 50lbs of DEAD rock (once fresh from Fiji) but Im afraid to add them because I dont want to add too much dead material into the aquarium. How do i go about this?
Also, the reason I KEEP the algae is because my yellow tang actually grazes on it from time to time. Maybe i should just get rid of the algae and feed her more sea weed. I put two strips of seaweed everyday and both tangs and the Koran angel tear it apart! it seems like they dont completely eat it all. they just rip it apart and then im stuck with algea/seaweed floating in the tank. Is there something else i could feed my tangs other than seaweed?
lastly, I think I will pull out some of my old powerheads from my old tanks (videos also on youtube). I took them off because with the built in overflow boxes and return pumps I thought I didnt need them, but I will add them.
thank you for your comments!

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaLaker24 http:///t/395848/what-do-you-all-think-of-this-tank#post_3525365
LOL! The phone I'm using is also a Galaxy s3! I bought the case off of ebay for $30! Best 30 dollars ive ever spent! haha! first of all, thanks for the lengthy comment! I really do sit and read everything word for word, and I appreciate your advice! next, I think I will add more rock. I have about 50lbs of DEAD rock (once fresh from Fiji) but Im afraid to add them because I dont want to add too much dead material into the aquarium. How do i go about this? Also, the reason I KEEP the algae is because my yellow tang actually grazes on it from time to time. Maybe i should just get rid of the algae and feed her more sea weed. I put two strips of seaweed everyday and both tangs and the Koran angel tear it apart! it seems like they dont completely eat it all. they just rip it apart and then im stuck with algea/seaweed floating in the tank. Is there something else i could feed my tangs other than seaweed? lastly, I think I will pull out some of my old powerheads from my old tanks (videos also on youtube). I took them off because with the built in overflow boxes and return pumps I thought I didnt need them, but I will add them. thank you for your comments!
When you say Dead rock....how dead are we talking about? When rock is left out in the air and sun to dry and bleach, it dries out completely and becomes (essentially) base rock. Left long enough and most of the organics completely decompose. If it's been dead for a year or more then I think a good thorough rinsing is all it needs, and you can add it more or less all at the same time in that situation. If you believe that there are still organics rotting in the rock, then I would actually suggest "cycling" the rock in a separate saltwater tub for a month before adding it. Something as simple as a $8 rubbermaid bin works well for this. I wouldn't add uncycled live rock to any tank....I just don't think it's worth the risk.
As I said, if it's been dry and bleached for a good while, it's probably fine. All the rock in my 110g tank that you see detailed in my build thread was originally live rock that had been dried and stored for many months before I used it again in this build.
I understand your reason for the algae, and if it's not out of control (it doesn't look to be) then I wouldn't worry about it. This is your tank, with your asthetic to please! :) I only mentioned it because I thought it might be a nuisance for you. Sounds like good tang food to me!
The seaweed thing is a problem I've heard before. Bear in mind that I have very little direct experience with algae sheet right now (I don't have a tang!) but this is what I've read (and what I will personally try when the time comes) regarding the excess algae sheet problem. First, use a smaller sheet of algae, and a high quality algae sheet that's not super-brittle. Fold it in half to give the algae clip something firm to grip, then cut small slits in the algae so the sheet is cut into 5-6 tabs. Think of the tabs on the bottom of a flyer where a seller would put his phone number. That's the look we're going for. This way you can better control the amount of food that gets ripped off on each bite, and theoretically control some of that excess waste you complained about. Again, this is just hearsay. It sounds reasonable, though, so I'd suggest giving it a shot.

aqualaker24

yeah, the rocks are completely dried out. theyve been sitting in the garage for roughly a full year. I think I am just going to rinse them and see what they look like after.
that sounds like a great way to use the algae sheets!
by the way, the pictures of your reef tank look AMAZING!! great job!!