What do you do for a job and how long to teach someone that job.

S

sinner's girl

I just quit my job. I don't really know what I did. But a Monkey would get too bored. You need the intelligents of a rock. My co-worker made a list of requirements for working in our office one, it was funny.
My resume (pretend the mards are there) says:
Assist with quilt documentations and research. Enter and proofread document in the Louisiana Quilt Database, design and/or edit flyers, brochures, CD labels, articles, and press releases, and create instructions for various office procedures. General office duties include answering phone, faxing, copying, proofreading, and scanning photographs, slides, and negatives.
I learned over time, I'm still learning photoshope, the database took about a day to learn.
and:
For my Sinner's Biz
Designed and implemented

[hr]
.com. Edit and maintain website, write memos, letters, manuals, and newsletters, and provide technical support through email for three products. Maintain all financial records and process all orders.
Anyway, my undergrad degree is English, Maters is Tech Writing, so it'd take you two years, less if you didn't have to take the lit classes. I learned most of what I know in a few key classes, editing, graphics, adv. tech writing.
I could teach it in about 10 weeks, I'd think. (meeting for 2 hours 2x a week)

jacksdad

CNC programmer/operator:
1 week to learn the controls, 2 months to learn toolpaths and how to use them. 6 months and I don't have to check over your shoulder anymore. Programming depends on the software, but I would say a couple of months and your golden.
Bob

molamola

Originally Posted by Ericp2311
Luckily for me, I don't give lessons to little kids...I teach college students (big kids). Unfortunately, I don't get any of the really talented ones...those go to the tenured profs...I get stuck with the music minors :mad:
Eric

Hey! I was a music minor
Somehow though, I managed to accidently get placed in Abbey Simon's studio (self proclaimed piano God and Baldwin spokesperson), and we made eachother miserable until I had a nervous breakdown in my advisor's office. :scared:

denny80689

IT manager... 5 years of college and a couple years in the field. Seems the higher up the ladder you go the less you need to do, so I could probably train someone to do my usual day to day stuff in less then a week. I guess its the unusual stuff you run into that would take longer to learn.

airforceb2

B-2 Crew Chief. 6 weeks boot camp, 4 months OJT, 4 months upgrade training. At least one hour of reading a day on Air Force regulations. On top of a 6 month security clearance.

taz_12777

GAfish, I didn't now there was a 14 week trainging acadamy to be the President is that for all the new ones or does it vary.

Cool pic if that is you shaking hands with the President( if your the guy with out the tie not so much)

rberhow

Hmmm....mother of 3, a 9 year old, 6 year old, and 1 year old, part-time bookkeeper at a convenience store, part-time bookkeeper for local farmers, neighborhood woman to call when in need of daycare, dogsitter, fish feeder, house sitter or anything else you could imagine. Time it takes to learn.....as long as it takes the prozac to kick in. BTW, I also have a degree in nursing so I also get all the local calls about any illness, injury, or health quandery of any type.

misslaina

I am an esthetician, I do facials, waxing, chemical peels, etc. Also a manicurist, pedicurist.
That only took about 500 hours in Florida, but I have been licensed for 7 years and it seems as though I am always learning. This year started permanent makeup, I am kinda shadowing my boss who has been doing that for 12 years.
Was a marine biology major, but was not able to finish. I supose that is why I have such an interest in aquariums.

elfdoctors

I am a family physician.
After college, I needed 4 years of medical school and 3 years of residency. So after I graduated from 23rd grade, they let me take care of people. There is still a lot of on-the-job training and coursework needed. This is a broad field and it is imperative to keep current.

ebsochin

Air Traffic Controller- Military side for now, but eventually after my 20 years in the USAF I'll be heading for the FAA. Like airforceb2 stated, 6 weeks Basic training, 5 months technical school, then 1-2 years of on the job training, 1 year upgrade training and then your good until you go to another base or deploy because you have to start all over with the on the job training for that particular base. I've been in the USAF for 13 years with only 7 to go and anyone with some common sense could control traffic. NOT STRESSFULL AT ALL.
All my stress comes from my 6, almost 7 (in Nov) kids at home.
:happy:

thangbom

wow!!! i always figure air traffic controlers have major strees!!! i mean shure you are just telling people where to land but there are so many planes.. and there are lots of people inside ... and if somehow an emercency!!!! .. them people are kinda in your hands....

scoobydoo

Originally Posted by ebsOCHIN
All my stress comes from my 6, almost 7 (in Nov) kids at home.

Looks like he found a way to relieve the stress!

ebsochin

ThaNgBom- There really isn't that much stress involved in the job. Yeah, the people's lives are in your hand, but with Air Traffic, there are always back ups for back ups. You are not allowed to work a position by yourself until you complete all of the required upgrade training and that usually takes about a year or so. Depending on if you are in Radar or Tower operations. Radar takes longer as there are usually a lot more positions to learn. Basically if you are good at solving puzzles and can see situations in 3-D you should do alright. That and you have to be able to think on your feet and respond with instructions quickly. Most of us controllers say that Monkeys could do our job, but that is beacuse it is "an old hat" to us.
scoobydoo-
Yeah that and all of the deployments I've been on. In the 13 years I've been in, I've spent the majority of it away from the wife on deployments. NO FUN! Thus a lot of honeydoo time upon return!!
:hilarious

airforceb2

Luckily I don't deploy near as much as most people. My job locks me to this base only.
I almost went ATC but couldn't stand the thought of being cooped up all day long. I have to be outdoors and working with my hands.

ebsochin

airforceb2- You are a lucky man. The deployments really tear at a family sometimes. Thankfully I have an awesome wife that supports me and what I do!
As far as being cooped up all day, well yeah I am in a closed tower, but hey you can't beat the view!!
Seeing our awesome military Jets fly by at over 300 Knots...Simply incredible!
That and we here at Langley have the first few F-22 aircraft. Those are AWESOME!

J

jcrim

No other lawyers on here? With all the debating, I'd figure half the place was attorneys. This took 4 years of college (GO BIG TEN!!!), then 3 years of law school. After all that, I could probably teach someone to do a shabby job in a couple weeks. To actually be a quality attorney, we are always learning.
But my real job starts in December. That's when my daughter will be born... Can anybody train me for this???? :needhelp: :needhelp:

hot883

I'm a retired Marine, work 9 days a month doing Pest Control and am also the "Mayor" for my little 300 ppl town. P.C. would be harder to teach but the Mayorial job would take about 5 town meetings to break the new one in. Ha! That and a couple irate towns ppl screaming about their water bill or something else stupid.

chazz66

I install Granite, Silestone, and Cambria countertops in kitchens and bathrooms. I've been at it for more than 5 years now. I've taught the younger guys to go on their own in about three months.