What Do You Do with All those Electrical Plugs - AquaController II????

bemmer

Okay, I have been working on the setup for my 450 gallon system for weeks now. It is a total of four tanks, two display and two support tanks. I have almost all the plumbing done and now moving to the electrical side of the project.
So....WHAT DO YOU DO WITH ALL THOSE ELECTRICAL PLUGS. Oh my gosh, I counted a total of 50 plugs. Is that possible!!!!!
Also, I have an AquaController II. w/three -DC-8's? Do you have one? What do you plug into yours? Pumps, wavemakers, lights, etc. Help!!!

1iviper

i hope you have a seperate circuit if you have that many electrical devices running just your tanks.what do you need to know about the aquacontroller?i've been using one for about 3 years and it's great.good to see someone else from northern va. here.

rednekreef

i have 35 plugs....LOL i ran a brand spankin new circuit just for the tanks. with 6 outlets, 3 outlet3 has an 8 plug coralife timer... 2 night ,2 day, and solid power, the other 3 are just solid power bars Gfi's. all sunk into the wall with a sealed plexiglass cover to ensure no water of any kind can get at um. works pretty good though it took a minute to work the wall so i could inset everything.

bemmer

Originally Posted by 1iviper
i hope you have a seperate circuit if you have that many electrical devices running just your tanks.what do you need to know about the aquacontroller?i've been using one for about 3 years and it's great.good to see someone else from northern va. here.
Hi,
Yes, we are planning on putting in a couple of 20 amp circuits for this monster. I am going to run the pumps and heaters on seperate circuits. Just in case one circuit breaker goes off, it will not completely shut down the water flow or alter the water temp too much.
I am really excited about my new toy but still a bit intimidated by it. :) Anyway, what do you plug into your AC II and what do you plug into regular outlets? I envision plugging the MH and VHO lights, the moonlights, heaters, chiller/fans for sump and 6200 tunze controller into the ACII. The return pumps and closed loop pump/4-way OM will go on two seperate circuits into regular outlets since I will run them all the time. I would like to put all of the above equipment on switches to turn off/on whenever necessary.
Do you have your calcium reactor, ozonizer or skimmer on the AC II unit? (assuming you have one or all of these pieces of equipment)
I am planning on running the MH/T-5 lights for the coral grow-out tank and the refugium on possibily a third circuit with the 1" seaswirl NOT connected to the ACII. They will run with timers on their own circuit. This third circuit will also run the Quarrentine tank and its light, HOB filter, powerhead and heater.
I think that covers most of the equipment. There are misc. heaters and powerheads in the FW and SW trash cans that will be on a power strip...somewhere. ;)
Any input or setup information that you would like to add to this, please feel free. THanks.
Rebecca

1iviper

Originally Posted by RednekReef
i have 35 plugs....LOL i ran a brand spankin new circuit just for the tanks. with 6 outlets, 3 outlet3 has an 8 plug coralife timer... 2 night ,2 day, and solid power, the other 3 are just solid power bars Gfi's. all sunk into the wall with a sealed plexiglass cover to ensure no water of any kind can get at um. works pretty good though it took a minute to work the wall so i could inset everything.

wish i would have thought about a set-up like that b4 i started getting to deep in to my set-up.

1iviper

Originally Posted by Bemmer
Hi,
Yes, we are planning on putting in a couple of 20 amp circuits for this monster. I am going to run the pumps and heaters on seperate circuits. Just in case one circuit breaker goes off, it will not completely shut down the water flow or alter the water temp too much.
I am really excited about my new toy but still a bit intimidated by it. :) Anyway, what do you plug into your AC II and what do you plug into regular outlets? I envision plugging the MH and VHO lights, the moonlights, heaters, chiller/fans for sump and 6200 tunze controller into the ACII. The return pumps and closed loop pump/4-way OM will go on two seperate circuits into regular outlets since I will run them all the time. I would like to put all of the above equipment on switches to turn off/on whenever necessary.
Do you have your calcium reactor, ozonizer or skimmer on the AC II unit? (assuming you have one or all of these pieces of equipment)
I am planning on running the MH/T-5 lights for the coral grow-out tank and the refugium on possibily a third circuit with the 1" seaswirl NOT connected to the ACII. They will run with timers on their own circuit. This third circuit will also run the Quarrentine tank and its light, HOB filter, powerhead and heater.
I think that covers most of the equipment. There are misc. heaters and powerheads in the FW and SW trash cans that will be on a power strip...somewhere. ;)
Any input or setup information that you would like to add to this, please feel free. THanks.
Rebecca

sounds like you have everything planned out pretty good.when i bought my house i was going to do an in wall display with my tank but it ended up in my living room on a stand,next house though.where is you're equipment going in relation to the display tanks?pumps and chillers make alot of noise and generate a fair amount of heat.i could use the chiller as a heater for the living room.my next set-up will have an equipment room or will be plumbed to the basement to cut down on the noise and heat.good luck with your set-up,and remember...patience
also have you seen the AQ III?has some pretty neat networking capabilities now.
and don't forget to put a couple of web cams on the tanks so you can watch them at work or where ever you can get online.

scsinet

Check out www.tripplite.com. Their power strips are pretty nice... made of metal, 15 foot cords, available in 20 amp versions. Depending on where you go they can be dirt cheap. I get reseller pricing (cost) and the 72" one with 24 receptacles is about 35 bucks.

bemmer

Originally Posted by 1iviper
where is you're equipment going in relation to the display tanks?pumps and chillers make alot of noise and generate a fair amount of heat.i could use the chiller as a heater for the living room.my next set-up will have an equipment room or will be plumbed to the basement to cut down on the noise and heat.good luck with your set-up,and remember...patience
also have you seen the AQ III?has some pretty neat networking capabilities now.
and don't forget to put a couple of web cams on the tanks so you can watch them at work or where ever you can get online.
I have a large equipment room behind the in-wall display tanks so I am hoping the noise will be minimal. I am using the Seq. Dart, Barracuda and a PanWorld pumps. They are rated to be low noise pumps. Not sure how noisy the chiller will be. My concern is the vent fan and the computer fans that I have in the lighting rack. I hope they will not make too much noise.
I am not really into the networking capabilities with the ACIII. I am a stay at home mom so it is pretty easy to monitor and watch the tanks during the day. ;)