What do you do with old tank Water?

yukon

I just pour my old tank water down the drain into my septic tank. Could this cause a problem with the natural filtration in the septic tank with adding all that salt? I would like some opinions on if it's benificial to the septic or harmfull or if it really doesn't matter.

sly

I have read that it's harmful because the salt accumulates underground which can poison your bacteria colony rendering the septic tank useless...
I pour mine out in the yard.

yukon

Originally Posted by Sly
http:///forum/post/2604528
I have read that it's harmful because the salt accumulates underground which can poison your bacteria colony rendering the septic tank useless...
I pour mine out in the yard.
I heard it will kill the grass? this true?

yukon

Originally Posted by saltn00b
http:///forum/post/2604527
i pour it in the toilet. what find of filtration do you have on a septic tank??
from what I understand it's just a tank that holds all the solid waste and breaks it down Biologically, the solids sink to the bottom and water is run off the top into the leach field. I Just don't want to kill all the "POO" eaters in my septic tank.

saltn00b

oh i wasnt aware the purpose of a septic tank was to break it down, but rather a giant holding place that gets emptied from time to time? i have no idea.
it will definitely kill the grass if you pour it in the same place all the time. and pouring it into the sewer system is not really ecologically responsible.

deltablack22

I have no idea if its safe for the septic system (which my home runs off of) so I pour mine into a natural area behind the house.

yukon

It does get emptied about every 3 yrs, I've just heard that the bacteria in the tank helps break down the solid waiste so that it won't fill up so fast.
I guess I just need to find a good spot to dump in the yard where I don't care about the grass.
Maybe I can use it onthe dandilions on the sidewalk

bpro32

http:///forum/post/2604541
oh i wasnt aware the purpose of a septic tank was to break it down, but rather a giant holding place that gets emptied from time to time? i have no idea.
it will definitely kill the grass if you pour it in the same place all the time. and pouring it into the sewer system is not really ecologically responsible.
Whether you pour it in your yard or directly in the drain eventually it will all get to the same place. If you really want to be ecologically responsible (
) you should pour it down the toilet or down the shower drain. To be honest though I don't know what that would do to a septic system.

vaughn

I have had two septic systems fail on me. The last one cost me $15,000 to hook up to the city system. You don't want to kill the bacteria. They are essential to the breakdown in your system. I also had my water softener discharging in my backyard. It killed the grass because of the salt. Now it goes in the city sewer system which is better than in my backyard. $15,000 to flush the toliet and have grass it a bit much!

t316

Pouring it down the drain, and flushing it down the toilet is the same thing
They both lead to the same septic system. The salt could have a slight impact on the break down of the micro system going on in the septic tank, but another problem is that most septic tanks are made out of concrete. And salt eats away (deteriorates) concrete little by little. Read the back of the package on that ice melting salt. It advises to rinse the salty slush off of your sidewalk as soon as possible.
And yes, salt will slowly kill your grass, whether you pour it directly on the grass, or if you have grass on your septic field and the salt water makes it past the tank and into the field.
Best bet is to pour it into a natural area of pinestraw or leaves.

hammerhed7

depending on how much water your changing I doubt it would have much of an impact. I have a septic system as well and dump about 70 gallons of salt water a month into it. Considering the septic tank is about 1500 gallons, and most of the water just runs off, the salt water is diluted by the rest of the water you use in the house. Also your bacteria survives the soap and bleach you use in the laundry, shower, etc.
That being said I use a product called Rid X, which is a bacterial booster for your septic field, it is in powder form, and you just dump the box into the toilet and flush. One box a month

perfectdark

Salt kills anything it touches so yes ultimatly when your leech field gets the run off of salt water you very well may start to see the grass, plants or what ever is planted above it die. Also salt never evaporates so if you have septic, remember this, salt dissolves concrete, which is what most septic systems are made from. Obviously quantity is a factor but over time you could have issues. My waste water sees the street and city sewers.

rabbit_72

So if you shouldn't flush it, or put it down the drain, we should dump our used saltwater in the yard or something?
We use city water and city sewer lines, but I would think that is no different than if you have your own septic tank. Somewhere along the way, the salt is going to cause a problem.

saltn00b

salt dissolves concrete? then why do they make bridge pilings etc out of concrete?
just because the stuff you pour on your sidewalk says its a "salt" does not mean its the same thing that is on your kitchen table. "Salt" is general term for a group of a variety of different compounds certain similar specific physcial / chemical properties. table salt / sea salt is at it's most simple form Sodium Chloride, the stuff you pour onto sidewalks is actually a calcium compound that some people have even incorporated into 2-part calcium dosing solutions. two totally different things.

perfectdark

http:///forum/post/2604832
salt dissolves concrete? then why do they make bridge pilings etc out of concrete? Because it isnt in direct contact with salt...Roads are paved with asphalt not concrete. And pilons and bridge supports are mainained regulary or at least checked for structural integrity, because they do deteriorate over time.
just because the stuff you pour on your sidewalk says its a "salt" does not mean its the same thing that is on your kitchen table. "Salt" is general term for a group of a variety of different compounds certain similar specific physcial / chemical properties. table salt / sea salt is at it's most simple form Sodium Chloride, the stuff you pour onto sidewalks is actually a calcium compound that some people have even incorporated into 2-part calcium dosing solutions. two totally different things.I wasnt referring to sidewalk salt, however I disagree, sidewalk salk sold as Rock Salk or Halite is Sodium Chloride, and it is indeed corrosive to concrete.

Salt is extremly corrosive, dont believe me, pour your next bucket of waste water on your concrete walk and wait a bit. You will start to see the concrete break down and small particles of the rock base will be left. Other products are used instead of Sodium Chloride to melt ice because of this. As an example, Magnesium chloride however it attracts moisture where as sodium chloride keeps sidewalks dry. Another is Calcium magnesium acetate which is said to be the safest and doesnt seem to harm concrete. However the majority of what you purchase for melting ice off your walkways is plain ol Sodium Chloride in a different shape, pelletized or rock.

yukon

what about in a river?
(never done this) would it harm the ecosystem in any way? The river is in my back yard and drains to Lake Michigan.

rabbit_72

Originally Posted by yukon
http:///forum/post/2604927
what about in a river?
(never done this) would it harm the ecosystem in any way? The river is in my back yard and drains to Lake Michigan.

Oh, please don't do that! The salmon in Lake Michigan already doesn't taste so good now.