What do you think about more fish?

temple2101

Ok ... simple question ... I currently have a 55gal with 2 false percs, 1 sixline wrasse, and 3 green chromis --- I have 45lbs LR and 60lbs base rock with 80lbs of LS. I am running a sump with protein skimmer (didn't know if filtration was a factor for how many fish to have) ... anyway ... if possible I wanted to add another fish (down the road), one of the following:
Flame angel --- the one I really want, however might be too big??
Royal Gramma
Let me know either way, thanks guys!

temple2101

thanks trojan ... do you think that would be it for the stock then? I forgot I was also thinking of a bangaii cardinal or a firefish. Thanks again!

temple2101

thanks again ... sounds good to me, I think I will stick with the gramma and the flame angel and call it a tank. Thanks!

flamehawk

I would play it safe and only add the flame or Rg not both. Here's my reasoning.... With water displacement my guess is you have about 42-43 gallons of actual water in the tank and about 18 inches of adult size fish.. That gives you 2.4 g's per inch of fish. Many would say stop there. Since nothing is an exact science in this hobby, I would go ahead and add either one of the other fish which would give you about 2g's per inch. Adding both would put you below this measurement and IMO be overcrowded.
Just my 2 cents that it's better to be on the safe sdie.
PS- I would go with a coral beauty VS flame and also stay away from RG with 6 line wrasse. They tend to feud. Flame angel is a great fish but I presonally have had more luck w/ CB. Either way good luck!

temple2101

thanks flamehawk! i really wanna add both but as I have read more I agree with you about not mixing the RG with the six line. Also, I agree with the amout of "inches" per gallon. I think I will try the flame angel in a couple months ... I just love that fish. Then I will concentrate on my corals ... thanks both of you!

ozadars

I dont think this inch/gallon thing is true... a volitan lion fish can grow up to 16" and it will be fine in a 100 gal but i wouldnt put a 9" majestic angel or powder blue under 125gal...
I agree w/ jwtrojan44 that you can add both flame angel and gramma.
If you afraid of the fighting, then buy a fridmani dottyback. They are not as mean as other dotties and they are stronger then the grammas

flamehawk

inch/gallon is not an exact calculation but it is a guide which I have used within reason with good success. If you have a better method please share it so we can all benefit. This hobby is not an exact science. I'll stick to my opinion that it's best to add one and not both.
JWT- Hey buddy sorry to have a different opinion on this one.

ozadars

flame hawk, the best stocking rule is to learn about fish. I mean first how big does it get in the nature max? then is it an active fish? Does it hide in the rocks, does it make a nest, does it burrow in the sand, does it continue swimming even at night? does it swim at the bottom or where?... you should first know the answers of these questions because IMO you can put a jawfish in a 15gal tank which gets around 4". But that doesnt mean that you can put a tomini tang (6") in a 25gal, i wouldnt put a tomini tang anything under 100gal

blackfish

Temple you could safely add both of those fish to your system with a reasonable amount of certainty thy everything will be alright, but all of the fish you want have been known to vary greatly from individual to individual! But on the gallonage to in. of fish thing you are still ok because if I recall you staed you were running a sump so that adds a couple gallons to your gallonage as it too is part of a closed system! Flames have been known to pick on corals though and i always feel it is best to get your coral population established before adding an of the dwarf angels!:)

temple2101

Thanks guys! Well, now I have actually lost one of my green chromis, so I think I will just wait and add both of the fish as my tank gets more established. I have read that the flame angel will sometimes nip at corals ... I love that fish though, so I think I will give it a try. I will definitely get my coral population established first though. Thanks again everyone!

flamehawk

o- knowing fish is not a stocking guide. it's the bare essential of knowledge which allows you to adjust the inch/gallon guide. another suggested guide w/b helpful.