What do you think about s-e-x education being taught in the classroom?

aquaknight

Originally Posted by Pontius
http:///forum/post/2633012
so you think that because "it's happening", then government schools paid for by taxpayers should be teaching it? so you're saying the schools should teach the children to do something they can't legally do? good logic. like I said, they should start teaching classes on drinking and smoking as well.
I don't understand,
from the breif googling I did, it seems like 99% of the time it is legal for 2 consenting minors to have s-ex. I don't think anyone would condone teaching statutory ra-pe.

sharkbait9

For some reason S-E-X is taboo to talk about let alone talk about it in school. Like stated above girls are getting pregnant at earlier ages today, so wake up and pull your heads out of the sand.
Just google the subject and read the array of articles about the situation.
Girls today will save their virg-inity for later but will perform other acts “because its not really S_E_X.
I defy anyone including my self to sit down with a child and talk about --- in professional manor and illustrate the proper techniques of con_dom usage with adequate space for the reservoir, snug fit and so on. Let alone talk about other forms of birth control.
The parent will most likely get red in the face and be uncomfortable and like wise the child is either going to be uncomfortable or ignore the lesson.
S_E_X is everywhere now, on tv in the movies, songs and most discussed with friends and peers. To sit their and turn a blind eye to the issue is not solving anything and putting these children is danger.
Its 2008 it not like the 50 and 60 where “learn it on the street” mentality is ok now. Children are exposed and curious about the subject, it human nature and as parents try and protect our kids but only jeopardize them.
Face reality kids are going to try it, experiment and plain old engage in the acts.
When I was in school you either got to first base, second base or third base. A home run was junior senior year at prom.
http:///forum/post/2632985
maybe they should teach cigarette smoking and "responsible drinking" as well.
That is such an old school way of thinking and rebuttal.
They do, in health class, the dangers of smoking and alcohol. They show pictures and discuss the danger and the damaged caused to lungs, liver, mouth and all effected parts of the body to smoking and drinking alcohol and hard truth reality of alcohol related accidents.
Why is broadening a students mind a bad thing? Why is sending a student out into the world with REAL WORLD KNOWLEDGE a bad thing? Why do parents want their kids left in the dark about real issues in their life? Why not let your children have the fact and knowledge to combat the peer pressure about S_E_X AND teen pre_gnancy.
Its only going to help your kids in the long run and maybe save you the head ach of a teen preg_nancy

pontius

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/2633032
I don't understand,
from the breif googling I did, it seems like 99% of the time it is legal for 2 consenting minors to have s-ex. I don't think anyone would condone teaching statutory ra-pe.
I don't know where you're talking about, but it's not that way in SC. if you have se-x with someone under 16, it's a crime. if it's 2 "consenting" minors, it's usually the oldest who is charged. of course, the "consenting" minors is usually only prosecuted if the parents actually push for it, but I've seen it done many times. again, I'm talking about SC. but I seriously doubt SC is the only state that says it's illegal to have s-e-x with a minor.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by Rylan1
http:///forum/post/2633007
I did many things that would have been considered illegal in high school... basically all of the above... They do have DARE programs for drugs/alchohol...
I also began having "contact" when I was in the 6th/7th grade... people shouldn't be naive to believe kids aren't going much..much further... all the stories I've heard about bracelets being symbols for "favors" offered.... kids are going all the way now in junior high and in some cases younger... heck...even the teachers are getting on it... it would be my opinion that with these women teachers that are involved w/ these students... its not the student's first time in the majority of cases.
If you walk in and preach abstinence you get separation of church and state thrown at you, DARE says don't do drugs.

Originally Posted by crimzy

http:///forum/post/2633014
Good point.

(Can't believe I just said that to Pontius.
I guess even a broken clock is right twice a day...
)
Sure steal my point.

pontius

Originally Posted by sharkbait9
http:///forum/post/2633042
For some reason S-E-X is taboo to talk about let alone talk about it in school. Like stated above girls are getting pregnant at earlier ages today, so wake up and pull your heads out of the sand.
let's see....underage pregancies have increased as government sponsered s-e-x education has increased. so who is the one who should probably pull their heads out of the sand?

fishkid13

Crimzy. I am 13 and had s-e-x ed my parnets think it should taught so us teens no the dangers. But it is under debate in our county, thanks to some idiot people we have a couple 13-14 pergent at are school. I think and my parnets think it should be taught so we no the dangers but should have strong guildline. Plus why are we talking about this on a fish website???

aquaknight

http:///forum/post/2633045
I don't know where you're talking about, but it's not that way in SC. if you have se-x with someone under 16, it's a crime. if it's 2 "consenting" minors, it's usually the oldest who is charged. of course, the "consenting" minors is usually only prosecuted if the parents actually push for it, but I've seen it done many times. again, I'm talking about SC. but I seriously doubt SC is the only state that says it's illegal to have s-e-x with a minor.
Yea, it's really confusing as I've search a bit more (don't feel like getting fired for looking up se-x at work), but there's statement from people who've been to Florida juvenile detention centers and seen kids charged with that. I, personally, can't see how that makes any sense. If forced sure, but appearly even if not? Even if one of them 'didn't know' what they were doing, they still did it. That excuse doesn't work for robbery, homocide, etc, why does it work in this case?
I guess I should be lucky my previous girlfriends' parents have really liked me?

renogaw

http:///forum/post/2633021
nobody's said it's not happening. the question of the thread is SHOULD IT BE TAUGHT IN SCHOOL, not ARE CHILDREN HAVING S-E-X. and I said, no, it shouldn't be. if a parent doesn't want their 12 year old taught about s-e-x by government employees, then it should not be happening.
you're right, its better to NOT have to teach your 12 year old about condoms and birth control. it's better to not let teachers teach your 12 year old.
but, the thing is, if your 12 year old isn't told proper prevention of pregnancy and std's, your 12 year old ISNT GOING TO KNOW ABOUT THEM. she's at risk of getting both.
which is better... you or another adult (teacher for instance) talking with your "innocent" child about it giving him/her the correct information, or your child's friends talking about it and getting the wrong information.

pontius

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/2633084
you're right, its better to NOT have to teach your 12 year old about condoms and birth control. it's better to not let teachers teach your 12 year old.
but, the thing is, if your 12 year old isn't told proper prevention of pregnancy and std's, your 12 year old ISNT GOING TO KNOW ABOUT THEM. she's at risk of getting both.
which is better... you or another adult (teacher for instance) talking with your "innocent" child about it giving him/her the correct information, or your child's friends talking about it and getting the wrong information.
you're exactly right....it's better NOT to let teachers teach your 12 year old about se-x.
like I said in a previous post, the underage pregnancies have increased with se-x education. before there was se-x education in schools, a pregnant high school student was something that was almost unheard of.

nacl freak

Originally Posted by nacl freak
http:///forum/post/2632967
My experience as a nurse, has been that most kids this age already know the basics and more. The thing they do lack is education and wisdom in making choices. Would it surprise you to know there are 3rd and 4th graders out there who are sexually active? Teaching the morals and how to make wise choices are I believe the parents responsibility. Teaching how to prevent STD's and unwanted preg in schools are in my opinion warrented.
Educate - the teaching and learning of knowledge and skills as well as moral, mental and aesthetic developement.
Wisdom - Gained knowledge, understanding, experience, discretion and judicious application of acquired knowledge.

aquaknight

http:///forum/post/2633103
you're exactly right....it's better NOT to let teachers teach your 12 year old about se-x.
You didn't complete that sentence. Really? It's better to not let teachers teach your 12 year old about se-x and let her peers/friends teach her? You're fooling yourself if you think that's not a major subject.

like I said in a previous post, the underage pregnancies have increased with se-x education. before there was se-x education in schools, a pregnant high school student was something that was almost unheard of.
I have extreme doubts there's any link better the two other then perhaps an increase in Se-x ed to try and curb underage pregency. IMO, it has much more to do with the 'culture' nowadays. Kids that were going to have se-x were going to either way. I don't think anyone went through se-x ed. and then went, "Great, I know what to do, let's go try it."

crimzy

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/2633077
Yea, it's really confusing as I've search a bit more (don't feel like getting fired for looking up se-x at work), but there's statement from people who've been to Florida juvenile detention centers and seen kids charged with that. I, personally, can't see how that makes any sense. If forced sure, but appearly even if not? Even if one of them 'didn't know' what they were doing, they still did it. That excuse doesn't work for robbery, homocide, etc, why does it work in this case?
The law is designed to prevent any s-e-xual contact with minors... period. This is what's called a strict liability offense because there is no intent required. Knowledge, or lack thereof, is not a defense to the act. By the same token, there is no defense to the act because the assailant is also a juvenile. In theory, if two minors engage in s-e-xual activity then they are both breaking the law... of course the law would never be enforced in this manner.
Again, this crime is different from robbery, homocide, etc. because someone does not have to have the intent to commit the crime to be guilty. I guess the law believes that it's more important to protect children than the person who "unknowingly" engages in s-e-xual activity with a minor.

im going to get burned for this. i was 14 when i lost my virginity to my 16 year old boyfriend at the time. there was no teen pregnancy and no diseases that happened but i was way too young! i had heard all about s-ex from peers and young family which was just bad information. if i had known about all the downsides i would have never let it happen. when you hear stuff from your peers its all about what will make this person or that person happy, not what's safe. when i was in 5th grade they passed out condoms and said if your going to do it be safe! i think we should have s-ex ed but make it different not awkward make it real. like have the "babies" that they have to carry around and see what its like to be a teen mother. to have people who have terrible experiences come and talk about how its changed their lives and what could have been. how just one mistake can change your life so much that all your dreams are crushed in what took less than 15 minutes to up your popularity rating. my brother is 12 and he has friends that are pregnant in his school and we have no s-ex ed and havent since the 70s in our school district.

nacl freak

http:///forum/post/2633056
let's see....underage pregancies have increased as government sponsered s-e-x education has increased. so who is the one who should probably pull their heads out of the sand?
The social stigma of unwanted pregnancies have gone by the wayside. Abortions give an easy fix it to the accident. What would the rate be if no abortions were available or Medicade and Wic to pay the bills?

renogaw

Currently 46.8% of all high school students report they have had sexual intercourse. The percentage of high school students who have had --- decreased 13.3% between 1991 and 2005 (54% to 46.8%).
2005 CDC Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance
Nationwide, 6.2% of high school students had had sexual intercourse for the first time before age 13. Overall, the prevalence of having had sexual intercourse before age 13 was higher among male (8.8%) than female (3.7%) students.
Nationwide, 14.3% of high school students had had sexual intercourse with four or more persons during their life. Overall, the prevalence of having had sexual intercourse with four or more persons was higher among male (16.5%) than female (12.0%) students.
Among the 33.9% of currently sexually active students nationwide, 62.8% reported that either they or their partner had used a condom during last sexual intercourse. Overall, the prevalence of having used a condom during last sexual intercourse was higher among male (70.0%) than female (55.9%) students.
Among the 33.9% of currently sexually active high school students nationwide, 23.3% had drunk alcohol or used drugs before their last sexual intercourse.
Fifty-two percent (52%) of teens report that they have sexually active friends.
2005 CASA National Survey
Youth exposed to sexual content on television were more likely to overestimate the frequency of sexual activity among peers and more likely to have more permissive attitudes toward premarital ---.
2005 ASHA State of the Nation

renogaw

you're nuts! you'd let your 12 year old learn about it from friends, or that 14 year old boy that wants to get in her pants?
your assumption about underage pregnancies is wrong:
Three in ten teenage girls (31%) become pregnant at least once before they reach the age of 20 – more than 750,000 teen pregnancies a year. Eight in ten of these pregnancies are unintended and 81% are to unmarried teens.
National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy
The U.S. teen pregnancy rate for teens ages 15-19 decreased 36% between 1990 and 2002.
Despite impressive declines over the past decade, the United States still has the highest rates of teen pregnancy and births in the Western industrialized world. Teen pregnancy costs the United States at least $7 billion annually.
About one in ten girls who first has --- before age 15 describes it as involuntary.
A majority of both girls and boys who are sexually active wish they had waited. Of those who have had ---, more than one half of teen boys (55%) and the majority of teen girls (70%) said they wish they had waited longer to have ---.
(both posts are from the SADD pages)

renogaw

more on pregnancy: yes, your tax dollars ARE working:
Analysis by the National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy and other investigators (including the Guttmacher Institute) suggests that both less --- and more contraceptive use are making important contributions to the decline in the teen pregnancy rate.
That is, teen pregnancy rates have been declining because a smaller proportion of teens were having --- and the pregnancy rate among sexually active teens decreased due to better contraceptive use (and also, perhaps, to less sexual activity among those with some sexual experience).
(Source: What’s Behind the Good News: The Decline in Teen Pregnancy Rates During the 1990s, the National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy.)

crimzy

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/2633165
The percentage of high school students who have had --- decreased 13.3% between 1991 and 2005 (54% to 46.8%).

This stat is a bit tainted because... welll... I was in high school in '91. Take me out of the mix and the stats are probably even.