What does it all mean?

S

smallreef

Looks good!
yeah they look like zoas :)anyways
not a bad pickup

brain1991

SO these things have been moving around. Its really weird what could they be because i thought zoas dont move. They look like little anemones but more like zoas. They are not aiptista i know that but its really weird they are moving around. In addition there is a brown tubular thing that pops up when the lights come on that looks like a sarracenia plant? any ideas what that could be or sound familiar? Thanks guys

brain1991

I would but the camera I have right now isnt capable of taking adequate pictures. I will load them up when my gf gives my camera back. I did some research and think I found the truth about these lil guys. I think they are tulip anemones. What should I do with them? As far as the trumpet looking thing, still have no idea what that could be.

brain1991

Since my new lights, a bunch of brown has appeared on my rock? what type of algae is this and how can I keep it from growing with these lights. Thanks

S

smallreef

Could be alot of things....does it blow off easily and is it also on your sand?

brain1991

Its that baked on looking kind where it just changes the color of the rock. And ya its on the sand too. Its the same trashy looking stuff that grows at LFS's so its gota go asap ha. Ive never had this problem before. For now Ive just been keeping the lights off and it helps but cant do that forever. Its literally growing in the shape of the light output in a circle at the middle of the tank ha

brain1991

This is gona sound real dumb but this isnt the base for coraline is it? Never having lights, Ive never grown coraline on my rocks so I have no idea about this stuff.

S

smallreef

no its most likely cyno bacteria.. and now adding lights after not having them makes it pop up,, also some times when bulbs get old and way out of spectrum people think that can do it to.
just need to increase flow and start your lights off on a short schedule and gradually add to it

brain1991

I use RO water and I have over 30x turn over in the tank so should the light acclimation be enough? thanks for all your help btw smallreef. I have always kinda done my aquariums half way in appearance and Im looking to really make this one special.

S

smallreef

it should be fine,, you may just want to suck off what you can and see.. if not theres almost never TO MUCH FLOW, lol
do you have any powerheads? or just returns from your sump? do you have a sump, lol?

brain1991

I had a powerhead pushing 150gph but upon your suggestion I just bumped it up to 500gph model haha The flow has already seemed to make a difference. Obviously on the sand but even the rock has stopped progressing in darkness. Not to mention, the fish absolutely love it ha! And as far as a sump, I do not have one. Just a HOB, 12lbs of Live Rock, 10lbs of LS, 50W heater and now 500gph pump. I do 5g water changes biweekly on my 29g and I figure to do a gallon a week on this tank.