what eats grape calurpa?

M

markeo99

have a 125 med stocked would kinda like a small tang. kole or I am really likeing the scopas tang. my tank is fairly full. any inverts eat this stuff?
something smaller than a tang would be better invert or will a lawnmower blenny eat it?any suggestions would be great

jackri

Originally Posted by Drakken
http:///forum/post/2973117
Any tang, dwarf angel or foxface will eat any caulerpa in your tank.
Not true... there are mild toxins in caulerpa and a tang most likely won't touch this stuff. I find it to be a nuissance in the main tank as it roots and spreads... the roots are fairly hard to pull out completely. Some say its ok in your sump for nutrient export (which it does a great job of) but if it's in your sump it can get into your main tank and become a problem. I'm against caulerp and for chaeto instead... it doesn't root, stays in a ball as it grows and yes, emerald crabs, tangs will eat it.

jerryatrick

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/2973144
Not true... there are mild toxins in caulerpa and a tang most likely won't touch this stuff. I find it to be a nuissance in the main tank as it roots and spreads... the roots are fairly hard to pull out completely. Some say its ok in your sump for nutrient export (which it does a great job of) but if it's in your sump it can get into your main tank and become a problem. I'm against caulerp and for chaeto instead... it doesn't root, stays in a ball as it grows and yes, emerald crabs, tangs will eat it.
Agree with everything you said except for Tangs not eating caulerpa. They will eat it but I am not quite sure how good it is for them.

jackri

My yellow tang that mows down chaeto, algae sheets and picks whatever it can off the rocks won't touch caulerpa... don't expect anything to eat it, if it does I guess it's a plus.
I think I finally got all the hitch-hiked caulerpa out with a tweezers

coralreefer

thats weird... i have a flame angel and a yellow tang in my 75 that has grape and mexican caulerpa in it and they dont touch it. they only just pick at the live rock