What filter to use

mblann1960

I currently have a 30 gal tank and have a emperor 400 on it.
I bought this filter used, and now it appears to have a leak on it. I'm not sure where the leak is, just somewhere in the middle and underneath.
At any rate, I was thinking about just buying another one.
My question, with a 30 gal tank...what filter would you suggest?
The same one? or perhaps something else?
Thanks!

cdangel0

I'd personally lose the mechanical filtration all together and just use live rock.
For a 30g tank you'd only need 30-60 lbs. to provide adequate filtrations. Hang a small protein skimmer, but no other mechanical filtration would be necessary.

mblann1960

wow, never thought I could use just live rock.
I'm a bit scared of that. I'm rather new to salt water aquariums. Right now, there is only 3 live rock in the tank and some live sand. The rocks are about 5 inches across.

get the emperor 400 its one of the best filters i've used and it does a great job pulling out any free floating debris in the water and polishes my water. I also have a phosphate remover in there and a chemi pure elite
I have used a fluval 404 years ago but it was the biggest pain in the ass to clean it weekly and eventually became a problem down the road with excess nitrate buildup. Get the emperor 400 its easy to clean out the cartridges weekly and you only have to replace them like once every 2 months or so

mblann1960

Thanks for the input.
Quick question for you.
I bought my emperor used, and it didn't have bio wheels. Someone told me it really didn't need them to work.
My question is this...the spray bar, that is supposed to spray on the wheels, it just sprays in the water and makes a lot of bubbles. I'm not sure this is good.
Too many bubbles maybe?
Also, it's kinda loud...the bubbles I mean.
I've looked for some bio wheels, but can't seem to find them.
Of course a new one would come with it. Right?

yes a new one will come with 2 new bio wheels and those spray bars help spin the wheels and keep them wet but of course if you direct them towards the water flow coming from the filter it will create bubbles
you might be able to buy them from your LFS ? or call up the company and ask them for replacements ...
if you have a lot of live rock in your tank you really dont need the wheels