what fish is it?

gemmaandandy

hi all
got this fish today
guy said it was rare and you know what, cant find one like it on any site or in any book, unless i'm looking in the wrong place
please help identify it so i can check out how to look after it
thanks
gemma

gemmaandandy

no yellow on the tips and i checked out the lavender tang but this seems to have stripes as you can see in pic 1 and no dots on its head which i have seen on some other pics of this kind of tang. Maybe there could be variations?

bill109

total guess, looks like a tomani/kole tang cross or tomani/lavender.
nice though. not the most colorful but its something you dont see everyday.

aquaknight

Some pointers;
Indeed, the difference in the more angular fins, the dorsal (the top fin) and the anal (the bottom) fin, helps to separate the Ctenochaetus genus (Kole, Tomini) from the Acanthurus genus (Powder Blue, Atlantic Blue, Sohal, etc) which have rounded fin tips.
In the Ctenochaetus
genus, this particular fish has two very distictive marking above and below his caudal fin (tail fin), two black dots. Only 3 Ctenochaetus
have these markings, Chevrons, Blue-Eyed, and Tomini. It's pretty easy to eliminated two of those. It's not a Chevron due the striping pattern, nor does it have blue eyes. That leaves Tomini, which I believe this fish to be. If you notice on the dorsal, you can see the color pattern of a Tomini, granted, heavily faded.
The thing to not
get hung up on, is the color. Tangs quite easily stress, and one of the results potentially is a drastic color change. Some tangs, such as a Naso, can change both directions, get really dark or change really light. I believe since this Tomini was only introduced today, it's still greatly stressed, and as the days go by, you'll start to see him color up.