What fish should I get for 40g?

hermitkrab

Well here is a list of fish that I like. I can get pellet, flake, frozen (brine, mysis, herbivore, squid, etc.), and pods. Will all these fish live well on one of those four options above? My tank is 40g with a refugium. I have 75 lbs. of lr (93 lbs. counting fuge) and 90 lbs. of ls (106 lbs. counting fuge). I know this is a little to many fish but this is just a list not my final list. Can someone help me trim it down to like 5 or 7?
1- Mandarin Dragonent
3- Blue Neon Gobies
1- Jawfish Goby
1- Firefish Goby
1- 4-Wheel Drive Goby (Signal Goby)
2- False Percula Clownfish

reefnut

The Mandarin Dragonent is not a good choice for a 40g. They feed exclusively on pods... very, very seldom accepting prepared foods. A 40g just would not accommodate the pod population the Mandarin would need to survive, He would most likely slowly starve to death.

hermitkrab

Well I thought 93 lbs. of lr, 106 lbs. of ls, a fuge with pods and plants, and a couple thousand pods would be enough.
:notsure:

teen

imo you can only get about 3 or 4 of those fish because that is really bringing u over ur limit. i have a 45 gallon and i can get about 9-10 inches of fish in that and u have about 12-16 inchesof fish. i would go with the clowns and maybe like 2 of the gobies.

hermitkrab

What about this...
1- Signal Goby
1- Mandarin
2- False Percula
Also I just noticed that you like paintball too. What marker you have?

teen

i would stay away from the mandarin, they need a lot of care and a well established tank imo. i would say yes to the false perculas and signal goby, what about a coral beauty angel? personally i like them and there cheap and easy to care for and it should be ok in ur size tank. as to paintball, i got an 03 shocker wit vision, maxflo, halo-b, dye stikkys, qlock feed neck,and an ultralite barrel, u?

hermitkrab

Tippmann 98 Custom w/-
-14 inch J&J Ceramic
-14 inch Site Stiffi
-Dead-On drop w/ on/off
-GTA expansions chamer
-Rocket ---- II
-Dark Horizon Ultra-lite titanium hammer
-Dead-On aluminum valve and bolt
-LAPCO vertical feed
-LAPCO pro style double finger trigger
-Ricochet AK Sniper Version

pebbles

I have 2 clowns & a jawfish in a 40 gal thought I would just love the clowns & do but the jawfish is more fun to watch.

leadan

Great advice about the mandarin,,,but I also have a 40 and have a very healthy mandarin, and scooter blenny that both eat the pods. It is a healthy tank and the mandy was in good shape (size) when purchased. I have noticed a decline in the pods but make no mistake they are reproducing. also scooter eats frozen brine. If your heart is set on mandarins then use common sense and watch to see if it forages for food. They will feed all day looking for pods. I'm not saying go buy one but if you really want one like myself,,it can be accomplished. Also if you do a yahoo search for carolina copods you will find a site that is dedicated to education that sells live copods fairly cheap. I have not yet had to order from them but if need be I will spent the 20 bucks to restock my food source. Best of luck,,,,,p.s. Beautiful fish no doubt one of the favorites.