What fish?

saltymarine

I have a 29G that I set up with 40LBS of sand and 25 LBS of Live Rock. I am running an eheim 2222 canister with only the the bilogical filtration in it. I was wondering if a combo of a Golden Headed Sleeper Goby to help keep the sand bed in good shape as well as a couple of Clowns would be ok in this set up? I will get the CUC from here and it will consist of
Scarlet Hermit Crab: 10
Blueleg Hermit Crab: 10
Brittle Starfish: 2
Coral Banded Shrimp: 1
Emerald Crab: 3
Turbo/Astrea Snail: 20
Cleaner Clam: 2
Nassarius Snail - Group of 10: 1
Does this sound good?

srfisher17

Originally Posted by SaltyMarine
http:///forum/post/2943443
I have a 29G that I set up with 40LBS of sand and 25 LBS of Live Rock. I am running an eheim 2222 canister with only the the bilogical filtration in it. I was wondering if a combo of a Golden Headed Sleeper Goby to help keep the sand bed in good shape as well as a couple of Clowns would be ok in this set up? I will get the CUC from here and it will consist of
Scarlet Hermit Crab: 10
Blueleg Hermit Crab: 10
Brittle Starfish: 2
Coral Banded Shrimp: 1
Emerald Crab: 3
Turbo/Astrea Snail: 20
Nassarius Snail - Group of 10: 1
Does this sound good?
With so little LR, you're really going to have to watch nitrates. Nitrates won't hurt fish, but can kill inverts. Unless you're ready to do a lot of water changes to keep nitrates down; I'd just stick to fish. A CUC is not vital, IMO. When you get more LR, or use some base rock, SeaChem Matrix, etc in a sump to control nitrates; then get the inverts.

saltymarine

My nitrates are going to be a problem with 3 small fish in a 29G? I will definitely add more live rock but 3 fish seems like a small bio-load to worry about a big nitrate problem. But if I am wrong I will stick to the clowns and nothing more. I know the CUC will also have a small bio-load but is this really too much? Thanks for the advice.

saltymarine

Mybe this smaller CUC will be better?
Scarlet Hermit Crab: 5
Blueleg Hermit Crab: 5
Turbo/Astrea Snail: 10
Peppermint Shrimp: 3
Nasssarius Snail: 5

srfisher17

Originally Posted by SaltyMarine
http:///forum/post/2944529
Mybe this smaller CUC will be better?
Scarlet Hermit Crab: 5
Blueleg Hermit Crab: 5
Turbo/Astrea Snail: 10
Peppermint Shrimp: 3
Nasssarius Snail: 5
Nitrates killing your snails & crabs is what you have to worry about. Nitrates won't hurt fish, so (IMO) just skip the CUC until you have a way to control the nitrates. The size of the CUC isn't an issue. You don't need a CUC to keep a healthy FOWLR tank, IMO & IME. If you insist on keeping snails & crabs; eventually you'll need more LR, or a LR substitute, or do plenty of water changes. 3 fish in a 29 is about all you can handle anyway.