What Fish?

debbers

Hi,
I'm starting to research what fish to put into my tank while it's cycling. It's a 29gal. FOWLR with 20 lbs. aragonite (about 2-3" deep) and 14 lbs. LR (more on the way).
I've been looking at fish and starting to research their behavior. I really like the looks of the gold stripe maroon clown and the pearly head jawfish. There are also a few dwarf angels that I like (coral beauty, bicolor, cherub). The mandarin fish is great looking, but does he need to be in a reef tank?
Down the road I'd like to have a blue linkia star... but I know the tank needs to mature before I can add one. What other inverts would be good? Hermits? Snails? Shrimp?
Any help that some of you veterans could offer would be great.

slick

As far as fish go I do like the maroon clown however I've read that they are agressive. What about a flame angle they are brightly colored. As far as inverts. I think it's good to have a mix of crabs and snails. Shrimp are good for the tank and are funny to watch.

kambiz

to cycle, i would get something inexpensive like a couple of damsels.
whatever you do, do not get a domino damsel.. they are very mean, and they will bully everyone else.
don't get lots of fish at once add one every few weeks (after the tank is established) give enough time for the tank to "equalize" you have a small tank and any large changes in the water quality could have a bad negative effect. do not over feed.
the maroon clowns are nice to watch too. they do their own thing most of the time, and are not affraid of anyone else..
i have had a cleaner shrimp for about 2 years. he is very nice and getting large in my 55 gal.
when i was setting up my tank, they told me that i needed 1 snail for each 1-2 gallons. but i only have had the total of 4 snails, and they have always taken care of the algea problem.
hermit crabs are nice to watch also. especially the larger ones. plus, they clean the bio matter (crap) off the bottom of the tank, and the crevices in the live rock.
good luck.. i am sure you will have lots of fun and learn a lot..

debbers

Kambiz,
From what I've heard, I should just let the tank cycle with the LR because the damsels are such stinkers (although cute little buggars!). Is there going to be much difference in the final outcome?

slick

If you use uncured lr at 1 lb per gallon your outcome will be the same. When you cycle this way don't run your skimmer until the cycle is almost over. As far as inverts go. There are some good package deals on this site. IMO you want a good mix of crabs, snails, and shrimp. I like to shoot for a tad under 1 invert per gallon.

My suggestion would be to let your tank cycle without fish, let your live rock do the cycling or get some LS from an established, reliable setup. After cycling....
My first choice for my tank was a Gold stripe maroon clown. And by my handle you can tell it is still my favorite. He seems to have a lot of personality. Some will tell you that Maroons are aggressive, I say it depends on the fish. I have had mine for almost a year and he does not appear aggressive at all, he is about 3-4 in. He actually seems to "pal" around with my flame cardinal.
Its totally up to you how you want to stock your tank. Just make a list of what you like and research their care requirements, see what works best for you.
Good luck...MCF

kambiz

that's right you can use lr also for cycling..
another noteworthy thing:
you may see many nice beautiful fish in the store, and want to add them to your tank.. but first, you have to do a little research into their behaviour, compatibility, and their level of sensitivity to changes to the water quality.. natural environment for fish is the sea. we try to set up the same environment in our aquariums, but many species that thrive in the sea, do not live long in captivity..
and oh yeah: in the beginning, don't forget to keep a chart of your water parameters like salinity, ph, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.. this way, you get to "know" your water and can potentially avoid water quality problems before it is too late..
gl..

kambiz

scott:
how big is yor tank? how long have you had the powder blue.. i have wanted one for so long now, but am afraid of ich..
most people's perception seem to be that the tangs get ich a lot.
is that something that you have ever experienced?
tell me..

debbers

Any thoughts on the pearly (yellow) head jawfish or mandarin?
Also, if the maroon clown gets to be 4", would that be too big if I had a dwarf angel in there?
My tank specs are in the first post.
Thanks.

Mandarins really need an established reef tank to thrive. There natural food is pods and other minute critters, so unless you can provide this food they will eventually starve. Some mandarins have been reported to each prepared foods, but the number is few and far between.
I am just now considering getting a mandarin now that my 'pod' population is flourishing. I have one live rock that just seems to be a nursery for pods. My tank is now a year old and just now I feel it is established enough to support a mandarin.
good luck....MCF
PS I have a gold stripe maroon clown and he is awesome in my opinion. a very beautiful and active fish, mine fortunately does not seem aggressive at all at 3-4" long.

debbers

Thanks, everyone...
So it looks like the gold stripe maroon clown fish is "in" for me, but it looks like a "no" on the mandarin.
Anyone have any info. on the jawfish? They just look so cute to me! I've heard they can be jumpers though. What do you all think?

Pods are an abbreviation for small marine creatures such as copepods, amphipods, and isopods. To put it plainly they are little beneficial bugs that live in reef environments. They are just a part of a well balanced reef, and a natural food source for fish and inverts. Many people keep populations up in a refugium as a supplemental food source for their tanks.
Many mandarins as well as scooter blennies (for example) eat these creatures as there main source of food. Without them, they slowly starve, very tragic.
Everything in a reef is just part of the food chain. From the sharks down to the microscopic bacteria. All play their own part.
Hope this answered your ??
MCF