what happened to this tang???

salsells

here is my yellow tang that died this morning, so sad, can you tell by photo what was wrong? All water perimeters are good.

boom215

im no expert but that red blotch in the middle of him doesnt look like it should be there to me. but i dont know

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Starving to death comes to mind as you can see from the emaciated condition. How did he look pre-mortem? Symptoms.

salsells

i fed my fish 2 times per day, flakes in the am and a mixture from the lfs of all natural foods in the afternoon, i'm not sure what it was but he ate like a little pig. It comes in a frozen state, red and you shake in water and hundreds of little red flakes, not sure contents. My 2 little clowns have bulging eyes, i have caught them and put them in a refrium, still not looking to good, i think the damsels where harassing them. What should i do now? they are out of harms way????? :help:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What are your water readings?
That diet just doesn't seem adequate for a tang, and that fish is emaciated.

littlebuck

I dont know much about tangs but by lookign at the fish it does look kind of thin. Did you ever give him any algee sheets or anything? Do you know what the LFS gave you for food? Is it blood worms?

salsells

temp 80
amm 0
ph 8.2
nitrate under 10
nitrite 0
salinity 1.201
fed twice daily in the am tetra marine flakes, at night frozen cyclop eeze, 100% all natural organisms no fillers, or additivis highest hufa levels. Got from my fs and he said they really like and good for reef inverts and fish. The photo of fish is a little while after his deat, he was not real thin, only had him for less than 2 wks.

littlebuck

from looking at what u feed it you didnt feed it the right things. It needs algae sheets since the feed all the time on them. I would aslo check to see what they sold you at the LFS. Because if all your fish are doing bad it might be a cause.

clown123

it looks like it got rammed on the side by another fish and there are nip marks on the fins what other fish do you have?

salsells

I have no fish now accept two damsels, lost kola tang, yellow tang and two clowns in 3 days. LFS are guys now that just run and acquarium store, loads of salt water tanks, they did not set mine up nor did they sell me anything but the tangs. Coming out today to check my system and hopefully get me straightened out. I am trying not to be discouraged from this hobby but i don't want to kill anymore fish. Will keep you posted. Unfortuntaely noone told me about the sheets for tangs, i will mention that to them and question???? All i have left are my damsels, scooter blenny, cby and cleaner shrimp, brittle star and lots of snails and crabs.

salsells

i just talked to the guys that helped me set up my 40 gal and they said i had an ammonia spike, unfortunately i stocked too soon...I hate learning from mistakes this way, i have to learn to be patient, only the fish suffer...will restock but think i will wait another 2 months or so, tank was set up 9/10 and i did everything right accept put fish in to soon.

crazyzeus1

That is WAY too many fish for that size tank. Before you start buying fish, you should come to this message board & ask some more questions first. That's what I always do, & I get great helpful answers