What happens when salinity is too high?

minnow me

Recently my fish have been succumbing to diseases like ich and dying. So I figured I would use Hyposalinity to rid my tank of parasites. I have a 60gal FO tank. I started by changing about 3gal out and replaced it with freshwater. I tested my water and the SG measured at 1.023!! Which leads me to believe that the SG in my tank was higher than that. My Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 10ppm PH 8.2. Should I still go on with a hyposalinity treatment?

jimi

It probably was not too high. How long have you been doing changes? 3 gals at a time is not much. It takes alot of large changes to get it down. Dont forget to adjust your ph along the way.

fshhub

yes, continue
and it takes quite a bit to reduce the sg in a tank, often mre than you would think, so your sg may have not been as high as you think, and your tester can be difficult to read, what kind are you using, the flating kind, or the bow, with a floating arm???

minnow me

thanks guys i'll keep doing freshwater changes. It's my first time doing a hyposalinity treatment, so i didn't know what to expect.
The tester i'm using is the Sea Test kind with a clear box and floating arm inside. When I finally get the SG down to 1.009, how long before the parasites die out?