What happens when you are prepared......Pics from Hurricane Wilma!!

stuckinfla

First Pic is 75mph winds, Second is 120+. Third & fourth is tank after 5 days no power and being well prepared. Last is my back yard.....thank god for the cool weather & generater who loving hubby split between fridge, tank & tv for kids!!!

reefman22

Very Nice (your tank). I wasnt as "prepared". You can read my WHY WILMA??? post. I just posted it a few minutes ago. Where in FL are you? I'm in boca. we didnt take too much damage but my tank took a hit. Good to see you were prepared. I hope your house and family did not get damaged. I know alot of people's did. :-( I gotta get a generator for next season.
REEF

stuckinfla

Thank you, sorry bout your loss. Im here in Margate.
Screened pool repair = $5,000.00
Lost shingles on roof = $2,500.00
Lost work = 1,250.00
Generator = $450.00
Kids school closed, Moms college closed, moms job closed, dads home on disability, having no power and playing in front yard with kids for 5 days =
Priceless.
Although ppl lost everything in this storm, I feel for them, but I am thankful for what it gave me.......Time.....the one thing that we are all to busy to have enough of. I had time with my family.

reefman22

Thats true. I cooked out on the grill for breakfast lunch and dinner for all 4 days of no power. We pretty much had a party with our entire sub-division on our driveway. So all in all, it wasnt too bad but I'm still upset about my tank. Sorry to hear bout your pool cage and roof.
REEF

stuckinfla

I can get them back, its the time that you cant. Eggs & hash browns never tasted so good!!! And did you ever try grilled fish sticks? The kids luved them!! (of course everything was on the "griddle" on the grill)
Sounds like your tank was one in progress. Everyone has their setbacks, as you have experienced, gives us knowledge for next time!! Good luck!

salsells

Hi guys, I lived in Boca for 20 years, just moved away last July, cannot believe I missed out, so grateful as I had a 22000 ft. screened enclosure and 6,000 gal koi pond, hate to think what it looks like now. Good luck guys
, I have been in touch with friends regularly and hopefully you guys will get your power back before Thanksgiving.
:happyfish

vi3tb0i

same thing happend to me i live in lauderhill florida power out for 2 days mine came bak on wednesday!!! My tank is okay but the mango tree that lived for over 15 years and the screened patio was destroyed insurance will cover the cost..My dad just bought a generator for is shop cause he loss plenty of money!!

K

kimc

Living in Florida + Hurricanes = Generator!!!! My second prized possession is my generator!! Somewhere on top is hubby & tank. Lost my tank to Hurricane Charley last year. I never want to go through that again... Thankfully all we got was a lot of wind and rain. Didn't lose power, but I was ready. We were about 40 miles from the north eye wall. Hurricanes suck!! Hope things get back to normal or as close as normal, soon.

jer4916

I was just down south for rita and katrina doing hurricane relief with the redcross ...so i know how you feel... i just wanted to tell you how sorry i am for your loss's. also with your kind of loss the redcross will give you around $1600 and fema around $2500 ... something you should look into.
~Chris
Best of luck

K

kimc

I don't want to sound stoopid but, can you collect from FEMA & Red Cross in addition to homeowners insurance?? I've know FEMA will reimburse for generators...

jer4916

Originally Posted by kimC
I don't want to sound stoopid but, can you collect from FEMA & Red Cross in addition to homeowners insurance?? I've know FEMA will reimburse for generators...

yes you can from all three, red cross is all volunteer, no government connection in anyway, fema is federal but there for aid...home owners wil help as well
Chris

K

kimc

oh, ok..... I thought that FEMA & Red Cross helped people without insurance and I know they provide food & water for all. Thanks!!!

stuckinfla

Hate to burst bubbles, it really does depend on how much $ you make. I contacted FEMA, they told me they would only cover what insurance would not.....depending on income. They also gave me a # to contact to get reimbursed for missed wages. Red Cross is if home is uninhabitable(sp)....they provide $ for hotels, meals ect.

escape2thewater

Sorry for your loss and everyone else' too, I feel your pain too. I was prepared with all the stuff left over from last year. I went a week w/o power from charley luckily it was only 2 days this time. My generator runs 24/7 after these storms & burns about $30 gas each day. I know last year FEMA reimbursed me for the gas costs too. I had another tree drop on my roof this time and poke a couple small holes in the plywood. Its such a nice feeling watching rain water fall onto the floor of my 2 year old house. I posted in the aquarium forum about my backyard neighbors house that burnt to the ground during the storm, heres a before & after pics of my neighbors house and my tree from this year. (dont mean to hi-jack your thread, sorry)....
Escape
:happyfish

stuckinfla

Escape - that s*cks!! Next time Im gassin it up big time!!! Luckily we were only out 5 days and we had JUST enuf gas. Lines for gas were 4 HOURS LONG!!! I think that was the worst part of all. I feel bad for the ppl that waited only to get to the pump to here that the station ran out. If worse came to worse, we would have siphoned our van & truck tanks!!
My hubby & neighbor both work for car dealerships, and all the workers siphoned all the cars on the lots!!

jer4916

Originally Posted by stuckinfla
Hate to burst bubbles, it really does depend on how much $ you make. I contacted FEMA, they told me they would only cover what insurance would not.....depending on income. They also gave me a # to contact to get reimbursed for missed wages. Red Cross is if home is uninhabitable(sp)....they provide $ for hotels, meals ect.

redcross does give funds if your house is damaged i know..i was a case worker for 3 weeks
~chris

jer4916

but again, when i was doing redcross work i was in the middle of the south where peole have NOTHING....literally ...NOTHING....so maybe places are different

battosai

I'm here in Tamarac and just got my electricity back tonight. That makes 11 days of my fishes living with airators. I have a 90 gallon reef and took some hits
I lost my Purple Fridmani, twin spot goby, Red Head Goby, Barber Pole Goby, and a pair of Cleaner Shrimps. Out of the remaining fish my Golden head sleeper is not looking to good and some of the other fish havw a slight case of ick from the stress.