What is a good portable Generator for my tank??

phixer

Miller Bobcat. You can also weld with it. You can also use your car or truck engine in a pinch as a generator if you install a power inverter.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/395290/what-is-a-good-portable-generator-for-my-tank#post_3519076
I like B&S, simply because I can repair them myself. Honda, I have no clue and never owned one, but I assume the parts are almost the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills
http:///t/395290/what-is-a-good-portable-generator-for-my-tank#post_3519079
Honda uses an overhead cam design. I think that's what makes them more reliable and consistently easier starters over the years. Briggs makes good engines though too. A Honda would be my first choice for quality, but second when it comes to needing a piece of equipment that's reliable and affordable. Although I did just pick up a power washer a couple months back and opted to pay an extra $40 for one with a honda vs the same psi rating on another brand that offered a Briggs.
Coming from a background of small engine building......An not your typical small engine, but high performance motors.....B&S definitely a bit easier to work on and parts are readily available, but when it comes to performance.....Have to agree on Honda, but availability of parts in a pinch can be an issue at times....I do swear by my Honda snowblower and pressure washer though.........

scsinet

Ahhh the backup power question...
First, and as a note to other posters here, there is usually a significant difference between nameplate power consumption and actual power consumption. If you figure your wattage by adding up nameplate values, you will likely end up with a much higher value than you need. Most equipment draws much less power than the nameplate suggests.
My advice would be to spend $25 on a kill-o-watt. Plug all of the equipment on your tank that you plan to run with the generator into a power strip, plug the power strip into the kill-o-watt, and read your watt consumption. You may want to take several readings over the course of a few days, and go with the biggest reading.
Then do the same with anything else you want to run. Add everything up, then add about 20% for overhead, then get a generator that can handle that wattage continuously. Manufacturers often exaggerate their machine's capabilities by showcasing the surge
power output rather than continuous,
so beware of that. If you go with surge rating you will overstress the generator windings and you won't have surge capacity available to start things like refrigerator compressors.
If you are plagued by numerous outages, need a very quiet generator, or plan to use it for other things like camping, construction, etc, then a quality machine is what you want.
However if you are only concerned about emergency situations, then buy an inexpensive machine. The poor quality of the import generators will not be a problem if they only see rare and short-term use. Remember that with buying a portable generator comes the hassle of dealing with gas getting stale and waterlogged, so be sure to read on on proper procedures for long term engine storage.
Alternatively, you could purchase a power inverter. Here, quality matters, and buying something good from Tripp-Lite, Xantrex, APC, etc will be a wise investment. In most cases, an inverter hooked up to your car battery with heavy cable clamps and letting the engine on your car idle (not in the garage of course!!!!!) will get you through most outages. The plus side is that you won't have to worry about storing the generator, and dealing with gas going stale.

sweatervest13

Lol. Yeah. I never ended up purchasing one yet. I would still like too but funds are always tight relatively speaking. My neighbor has a 6000 watt generator that I can use any time but to tell you he truth I have never lost power in this house. Wellaube for a couple of minutes. We have under ground utilities in my area and like I said very rarely do we have power outages.
Now if I had a nice wind fall of cash. I would for sure pick one up.

aquiman

I was lucky to get one during Sandy before they were all gone. My power lines are above ground and I was out for 5 days... My tank was my main concern and all worked out well. After spending hours on gas lines not even knowing if I would be able to buy gas, I later bought a carburetor conversion kit that enables me to run the gasoline engine on natural gas or propane. It works great but be sure to buy a generator with key start so your arm doesn't fall off trying to pull start it on natural gas. Good luck and may the power be with you!