What is a good wavemaker and...

E

essop3

If I had it all to do over again I wouldn't waste money on power heads. I would get a Tunze setup, probably the wavebox. It will cost a little more now, but it will give you the best flow possible. And flow is very important.

fishamajig

ditto.
if you are looking into wave makers there is no comparrison to the wave box. the issue is it is nitrusive to the system and takes up allot of room. but tunze is definately the best brand to go with. there is a thread on this board by druluv about his dissatisfaction with the wave 2k product. i personally dont have the wave box. i have a tunze 6060 and a seoi 1500 with a mag 9.5 as a sump return. if you want another idea you can go with a large closed loop with a sinusoidal valve. this is a rotating valve that can direct the flow to diffrent supplies.
but for simplicity look into the tunze products

my5girls

If I went with the Tunze Turbelle Stream 6080: Output: 8500 l/h; 2250 gal/h plus the return on my sump, can't remember what it will be now but a mag 7 or 9 maybe?? Would that be enough flow for a 125 reef? Does this only push the water out in one jet, so to say, like a powerhead? how is it different? Do you use the magnet to keep yours up? Where do you position it at in the tank?
Edited to add that I saw that they have some you can control..but they are more $$$. Is that something I should consider or will this work fine? Maybe I can go up to that kind later but after the initial hit of the tank, stand, canopy, MH+T5 lights and 130lb live rock, I need to be more conservative for now. But the above 6080 is very doable if you think it would work.
Edited to add would 2 of the smaller ones, one on each end of the tank, be better than one bigger one?

dogstar

Many options for wave makeing from timers to control several pumps to auto, non electric valves such as a SCWD ( i use on my 150g ) to rotateing heads and powerheads with moveing spouts such as a Sea Swirl.
A wide range of prices too. My SCWD works great for what I want and cost is around $40. I have it on a mag 9.5 in the sump plus another Mag 9.5 as a constant main return.

bergamer

Originally Posted by Dogstar
Many options for wave makeing from timers to control several pumps to auto, non electric valves such as a SCWD ( i use on my 150g ) to rotateing heads and powerheads with moveing spouts such as a Sea Swirl.
A wide range of prices too. My SCWD works great for what I want and cost is around $40. I have it on a mag 9.5 in the sump plus another Mag 9.5 as a constant main return.
I was looking into that, but everyone told me they were junk and break easily.

dogstar

Originally Posted by bergamer
I was looking into that, but everyone told me they were junk and break easily.
Like any thing else I quess.
So far, mines been up 7 months 24/7 and no problems...time will tell.
Mines all outside so I can get to it to clean or replace if needed but still waiting for that.