What is it with all of the *bump* posts?

spiderwoman

I just don't get it. New people filling posts with *bump* and nothing else. Are these people trying to get their post count up or what? Mainly these posts are in the classifieds area. What makes it funny is that these people are brand new to the site and they are saying *bump for a great seller*????????? Who are you kidding? You just signed up for the site, how the heck do you know if a seller is great or not. I for sure would not sell anything to these new people doing this.
Sorry, I need to drink my coffee and wake up and get off my beeeeatchy horse hehehe

mimzy

you post the word "bump" in order to bring your thread to the top of the page in the hopes that more people will see it and comment.

stdreb27

In sales posts, I can understand, they are just trying to keep their post towards the top of the list. I do it all the time on a certain larger forum site.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by SpiderWoman
http:///forum/post/2759346
I just don't get it. New people filling posts with *bump* and nothing else. Are these people trying to get their post count up or what? Mainly these posts are in the classifieds area. What makes it funny is that these people are brand new to the site and they are saying *bump for a great seller*????????? Who are you kidding? You just signed up for the site, how the heck do you know if a seller is great or not. I for sure would not sell anything to these new people doing this.
Sorry, I need to drink my coffee and wake up and get off my beeeeatchy horse hehehe
I'll do some IP checking.
Thanks for the heads up.

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/2759421
In sales posts, I can understand, they are just trying to keep their post towards the top of the list. I do it all the time on a certain larger forum site.
The ones I mean are not the OP's for the classifieds... just seems odd, that's all.

nwdyr

I agree with you 1000000% , I have not listed anything for sale here for awhile for the same reason , those people answer the add saying " I WILL TAKE IT!!! then you hold it for them and they never respond again. They have like 2-10 posts and they want to buy stuff......NOT. I could never figure out the scam , but maybe its like you said..just trying to get the post count up. It's like the one guy here , i wont say his name , but he goes on EVERYONES sale thread and says he wants to buy EVERYTHING but never does. He even posted on one of mine and had the nerve to question how I sell
Maybe I am wrong but I have been here for almost 1 year and have well over 1,600 post's I just feel the "newbies" should respect this site and us more then that!............ OK... Now I feel better , been holding that in for a long time!

Now I am going to go post something for sale

1journeyman

The forum rules for that section are clear:
In order to post in this area, you must be a member in good standing for at least 30 days and have participated in a meaningful way in the other forums with at least 50 posts

I think I can speak for all of the Mods when I say "bump" is not a meaningful post...
The most obvious poster has been sent a message regarding this.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by nwdyr
http:///forum/post/2759447
I agree with you 1000000% , I have not listed anything for sale here for awhile for the same reason , those people answer the add saying " I WILL TAKE IT!!! then you hold it for them and they never respond again. They have like 2-10 posts and they want to buy stuff......NOT. I could never figure out the scam , but maybe its like you said..just trying to get the post count up. It's like the one guy here , i wont say his name , but he goes on EVERYONES sale thread and says he wants to buy EVERYTHING but never does. He even posted on one of mine and had the nerve to question how I sell
Maybe I am wrong but I have been here for almost 1 year and have well over 1,600 post's I just feel the "newbies" should respect this site and us more then that!............ OK... Now I feel better , been holding that in for a long time!

Now I am going to go post something for sale

I don't think this problem is unique to this forum. I've had that happen several times not just on this forum.

jerthunter

I was going to post a *bump* but it seems like that horse has been beat quite enough.
I hindsight this could have helped me in the past had I wanted to sell something on another forum with similar rules.

cowfishrule

sorry, had to do it.
bumping old posts earns the offender 1 infraction point, that never leaves your profile, even though it is expired. it is considered "insulting other members", somehow.

yearofthenick

also, I've seen people who "bump" threads unintentionally. To give an example... when someone starts a new thread and asks a question that no one aswers, the writer usually adds another post to his thread a day or two later, saying "Anyone out there?" or "no one knows the answer to this question?" It's a nice way of 'bumping' the thread.