What is southdown sand ?

Southdown sand it a type (brand name)of "play sand "that some Home Depot stores sell. From what I have heard usually in the southern states. Where exactly do you live in Wisconsin?

ebeckels

it's sand...you put it in the bottom of your aquarium. People buy it and use it because it is cheap and easy to use as a base for a DSB. You can buy southdown at home depot on the east coast stores and then seed the bottom of your tank with it...then put LS on top and you've got a DSB that is much cheaper than buying all LS.

ratbattey

I found it in Michigan for $1.98 a bag and bought all they had, and asked for a pallet in the spring. My tanks have never looked better.

Southdown, based in Houston Texas, was recently purchased by SyMex. If you can get the sand BUY IT NOW as it will soon dissapear from the shelves. I spoke with Southdowns office today and she told me it was going to be phased out temporarily. I asked her about the possibility of getting my hands on a large amount and she said she would check and call me back Monday. They intend on bring SD back to the market sometime late in the year. Home Depot will no longer carry this product, so get it while you can!

miner

Hey Ratbattey,
What town did you get it in in Mi?? I looked in Saginaw this summer, and couldn't find any. HD looked at me like I was nutty wanting a certain kind of sand. Please help if you can. :) :)

bartman

I just went to the Salisbury MD Home Depot and they dont have any south down. Anyone else know of a home depot near Virginia that has some?
Bartman

cyn

Txreef,
If you get some, get some extra please. I have begged and pleaded with every HD from N. of Houston to Clear Lake to order some from another store without success. I have about 100 lbs of combo argonite and LS in my tank now, but an considering a larger tank and would love to go with SD if possible.
thanks,
cyn

bigeyedfish

Hey Bartman,
What part of VA you from? I checked all Home Depot's in Montgomery Cty, Md and NOVA, no luck this fall and winter. Maybe in the spring. I did however pick up a few bags in Bensalem, Pa (north side of philly) while i was there on business. They had three pallets!!!!

fishfreek

It does reduce the clarity in your tank for a few hours. The trick is to add it through a piece of 1-1/2"-2" PCV pipe that will reach the bottom of the tank. Fill the tube with sand and slowly lift it. Keep doing this until the desired depth of sand is reached. You can also add some filter floss to your hang-on or canister filter to trap most of the tiny particles and turn your PH off for a few hours. You will get enough circulation from the canister/hang-on. IME, the fish won't be too stressed, just take it slow. HTH

benihuma

Jtoliver:
My parents live in Lake Geneva and I'll be there tomorrow to watch the Packers game. I happen to have 2 bags of Southdown sand in my trunk. I got them from Home Depot in Milwaukee. I'll sell you a bag for cheap if you want to meet up. Let me know! If not this weekend, I'm usually there every Sunday.
Ben

blackdog

I'm starting a new tank and saw this thread about Home Depot not carrying Southdown any more, so I thought I'd better hurry. Made a few calls to local stores. One guy at the garden supply area was curious why he kept getting calls about Southdown sand, ha ha. Had luck in Salem Mass. After I walked away with 250#, they have about five more intact bags and three torn bags left. Get it while you can...

jtoliver

benihuma, sorry I didn't get back to you but I didn't get on the board untill today. How long ago did you get the sand and which home depot did you get it at? Next time you're here I'll get a bag providing I can afford it :) and I'll show you my reef. I live and work at Lake geneva youth camp just down from the high school on south street. I'm almost always around Just look for the white grand cherokee. Other than that, anyone else that works here can get ahold of me.

benihuma

You didn't happen to be in Kens on Tuesday, did you? I stopped in and there was someone coming in presumably to pick up some water that had a white cherokee.
I'd be happy to sell you a bag for cheap. I got it from the HOme Depot on Port Washington near Capital.

jtoliver

most likely wasn't me cause I have my own ro unit. but I am in there almost every day. email me next time you are comming up. jtoliver@genevaonline.com