what is strong lighting?

When a description is "strong" or "medium" lighting, what is strong? I have a 50 gallon - 20 inches high, 48 inches long. My lighting is a 36" Coralife with a new 96 watt 10,000k tube and a 96 watt Actinic. Is this considered strong or medium lighting? Thanks

tx reef

I would consider that low lighting for that tank....you could keep soft corals and lps....no clams, anemones, or sps.

Thanks, One more question- Do Actinic tubes need to be replaced also? Or are they there just to add the blue tint for visual reason? thanks

N

nereef

for the most part, the actinic spectrum isn't absorbed very well by corals. they just keep your tank from looking so yellow.

I consider your lighting as moderate(medium)lighting.You should be able to keep many softies and LPS,all about the placement.Yes actinics need to to be replace.Once a year usually.

rbaldino

Originally Posted by walmart
whats the life of a pc 10k? on for 10 hours a day?
Their lifespan could be quite long, though it actually depends on the strength of the light they continue to put out. Just because they come on doesn't mean they're actually delivering enough light. For this reason, the manufacturers generally recommend replacing tubes once a year.

watson3

Originally Posted by NEreef
for the most part, the actinic spectrum isn't absorbed very well by corals. .
Seriously...The more actinic, the more they thrive...

Originally Posted by walmart
whats the life of a pc 10k? on for 10 hours a day?
The manufacturer says 12 months....but I found 8 months is better.Mine start looking dim right around that time.